Nationals

Quick Links

Mets' Harvey plan may only include starts vs. Nats

sandyalderson090715.png

Mets' Harvey plan may only include starts vs. Nats

The soap opera involving the Mets, Matt Harvey, Scott Boras and post-Tommy John surgery innings restrictions took another turn Monday morning when New York general manager Sandy Alderson suggested his young ace might only make two more starts this month and would only face the Nationals during the season’s final weekend if the game still matters.

Harvey, in his first season back from elbow ligament surgery, is fast approaching the 180-inning limit reportedly prescribed to him by orthopedist James Andrews and made public over the weekend by Boras. Sitting at 166 1/3 innings entering Tuesday night’s showdown at Nationals Park, Harvey probably is good for only one more start after this appearance.

Alderson suggested as much during a session with reporters in the visitors’ dugout prior to Monday’s game, saying Harvey could be skipped over multiple times down the stretch and might not pitch at all between the two series against the Nationals.

“He’s going to pitch tomorrow, and we have talked about him pitching one of the last games of the season against Washington, if that game is meaningful,” Alderson said. “So if you count that as part of the regular season, you come up with one number. If you count that as a ‘quote’ playoff game — because that’s really what it is at that point — then it’s a little bit different. At this point, I don’t expect him to make four starts in the regular season.”

Alderson also wouldn’t commit to any postseason plan for Harvey, if they make it to October, saying that would depend on how the right-hander feels at that point.

“How he’s used in the postseason is really going to be a function of how he’s gotten through six months of the regular season,” the GM said. “I can’t sit here and say he’s going to be available through the entire playoffs, because we don’t know how he will feel and what all of the considerations are at that time. That’s the position we’ve always had. When we get there, we’ll figure it out.

“Matt has always said he wants to pitch in the playoffs. I absolutely believe that he has meant that every time he has said that. At the same time, we have said we want him available in the playoffs. But how exactly that gets executed, I think, is a function of the circumstances as we get closer, assuming that it’s even a possibility to get there.”

RELATED: State of the Nats: Mets arrive for the main event

Quick Links

With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever

With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever

WASHINGTON  -- The Washington Nationals say they have agreed to a one-year deal with 40-year-old reliever Joaquin Benoit.

The team announced the move Wednesday, along with placing pitcher Joe Ross on the 60-day disabled list as he recovers from Tommy John surgery in July.

The Nationals didn't release terms of the agreement, though a person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press on Monday that it was for $1 million.

The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the deal wasn't official at the time.

MORE NATIONALS: FULL 2018 SPRING TRAINING SCHEDULE

Benoit is a right-hander who first reached the big leagues in 2001. 

He has played for eight teams, finishing last year with Pittsburgh.

He has 764 career appearances, going 58-49 with a 3.83 ERA and 53 saves.

RELATED: 2018 MLB BETTING ODDS

Quick Links

It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future

It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future

So if you have not heard, Bryce Harper is going to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2018 season.

All off-season talking heads, baseball aficionados, radio hosts, etc. were speculating on where the outfielder’s destination will be next year.

And we are still a year away from it actually happening.

RELATED: VEGAS SETS OVER/UNDERS FOR 2018 MLB SEASON

Reporting to spring training on Monday, Harper did not waste any time telling the media how his press conferences were going to play out this season.

“If guys do [ask], or talk anything about that, I will be walking right out the door.”

Entering his seventh season with the Washington Nationals, the 25-year-old is coming off the second-best season, statistically, of his career. The 2015 NL MVP has hit .285 in his career, with 150 home runs and 421 RBIs. Unquestionably he is the face of the Nationals’ organization, if not, the best player in the team’s history.

If he does end the season without a contract extension, he will join Rafael Palmeiro, Alex Rodriguez, Randy Johnson, and Barry Bonds as the top sought out free agents in MLB history.

One thing is for certain in terms of Harper’s free agency; Harper has given no inclination on where his landing spot will be.  The top three cities are of course his favorite childhood team, the New York Yankees; joining with one of his closest friends with the Chicago Cubs; or just staying with Washington.

Wherever he does land, it does appear that it will be the largest contract given to a free agent ever.

As for now we just wait and direct any of your calls to his agent Scott Boras.

READ ALSO: NATIONALS FULL SPRING TRAINING SCHEDULE