2016 was a strong year for the Redskins, an NFC East title in January and the team playing for a Wild Card spot in December. What 'Skins stories stood out most?
Before any readers get mad about the frequency of Robert Griffin III appearances, remember, these are the stories you clicked on, commented on, and shared via social media. Point that finger at yourself, or at least your buddy who always clicks on dumb stuff.
Lastly, since just presenting a list of old stories is kinda tired, the top posts of 2016 will be presented like an award's show. Drumroll please....
- Hottest take by former Cowboy about Redskins player Award- "Michael Irvin has harsh words for Dez Bryant, Josh Norman" - What a flaming amount of nothing this story proved to be. Bryant and Norman got into a bit of a brouhaha leaving the field after the Redskins loss to the Cowboys on Thanksgiving, and things escalated from there. Reports initially showed Norman claimed Byrant made a violent comment, but the Redskins star corner later walked that back. Some of these things can be fun or funny upon reflection; this wasn't one of them.
- Fans prove they care about the games Award - "Every scenario in which the Redskins can make the playoffs" - Since the Redskins playoff future began to swing up and down the second half of the season, the CSN desk and NFL tiebreaker expert Joe Ferreira started to provide weekly updates based on the ever-evolving playoff scenario. With only the Giants left on the schedule, the 'Skins playoff scenario is almost clear: Win and in (except for a tie in Green Bay/Detroit).
- 'Oh no, he didn't actually do that' Award - "RG3 fires back at Redskins legend Darrell Green" - Here comes the run on RG3 stories. This one lit up the internet as it showed Griffin throwing verbal jabs at arguably the greatest 'Skins player of all time and fan favorite Green. This episode came after Griffin's divorce, which brings us to...
- This is just sad Award - "RG3 files for divorce three years after Redskins fans bought him wedding gifts" - Griffin got divorced. This is just sad.
- Finally, something very funny Award - "Odell Beckham fights kicking net, loses" - This was hysterical. As the Redskins and Giants battled on the field in Week 3, a game Washington would go on to win and launch a four-game win streak, Beckham battled a kicking net off the field.
- The Aaron Rodgers is kinda right, but also kinda mean Award - "Aaron Rodgers unimpressed by Redskins interview room" - This came moments after the Redskins home loss to the Packers in the Wild Card round of the 2016 playoffs, when Rodgers addressed the media gathered in the visiting team media room. For the record, the visiting media room at FedEx Field is not much to look at, a cement block square room with no windows, a short platform and a microphone. Rodgers joked upon entering, "Man, this is classy here." On a funny scale of 1 to Dumb & Dumber, the QB did pretty good, but it wasn't really a needed shot at the facility.
- The NFL schedule makers really did the Redskins wrong Award - "Richard Sherman is right and the Redskins are a prime example" - Sherman went on a tirade against Thursday Night Football and the NFL schedule makers, and he was right, but few teams have ever been dealt as tough of a schedule as the 2016 Redskins. Two short weeks in the second half of the schedule came after a trip to London. The Sunday night Packer game into Thanksgiving afternoon game against Dallas will likely never be repeated.
- Uh-oh this same thing might happen again Award - "Former agent says issue with Redskins and Kirk Cousins isn't money" - Much of 2016 was spent trying to figure out if the Skins could get a long-term contract worked out with their quarterback. They couldn't. Surprise! The same conversations will be going on this year, and while the issue is always money, with this situation, guaranteed cash and opt-outs will be dominating negotiations.
- The Brick Tamland Memorial 'Loud Noises' Award - "Redskins players, coaches react to 'disrespectful' Stephen A. Smith" - Smith is paid to yell about petty things, and he sure did his job well when some Redskins players celebrated a Week 6 win over the Eagles. Smith called the 'Skins out as losers, despite a four-game win streak, and generally torched the franchise. Jay Gruden and some players eventually responded to the outlandish comments. The best part of this, Washington is in line for a second-straight winning season, and possibly a second-straight playoff spot, proving Smith's premise quite wrong.
- The Brick Tamland Memorial 'Loud Noises' Award Vol. 2 - "Pierre Garçon shuts down Skip Bayless during Packers-Cardinals" - If Stephen A. is paid to yell about petty things, Skip is paid to scream about petty things. Both are good at their job, and both can be quite grating to others. Including Pierre Garçon. While the world watched a riveting Packers-Cardinals playoff game last January, Bayless tweeted out some coaching advice. Garçon disagreed.
Go to sleep lol https://t.co/Zu1KmpRfKc— Pierre Garçon (@PierreGarcon) January 17, 2016
There we go - 10 awards for 10 top engaging stories. These are not neccesarily the top grossing traffic stories of the year, but they all ranked very high in the CSN Redskins zeitgeist for 2016. There was no independent accounting service involved, I just picked stuff I found interesting. Hope you enjoyed it. Happy New Year.
Want more Redskins? Check out @JPFinlayCSN for live updates or click here for the #RedskinsTalk Podcast on iTunes, here for Google Play or press play below. Don't forget to subscribe!