BY PETER HAILEY
While Duke Ihenacho spent most of his time at Redskins OTA's and minicamp hoping to get the attention of his coaches, there was something else he was doing on the field that has caught the eye of a lot of people who follow the team.
The fourth year safety, who is currently locked up in a position battle with new addition Jeron Johnson, has been getting creative with the way he tapes his cleats. Most NFL players simply use tape to give themselves some extra ankle support, but Ihenacho has found another use for it -- making his feet look awesome.
So far, Ihenacho has shown off three designs. The first look, which he debuted on May 28th, had his cleats looking a lot like one of the most recognizable shoes in the history of footwear:
— Stephen Czarda (@StephenCzarda) May 28, 2015
For his second edition, he traded in the Chucks for something that looked a little more comfortable:
— Stephen Czarda (@StephenCzarda) June 11, 2015
And just yesterday, Ihenacho rolled out his third and most recent style, which is arguably his most well executed one yet:
— Bryan Van Balen (@bnvanbalen) June 17, 2015
Unfortunately, yesterday's minicamp session was the last time the Redskins will be together for quite some time. Even more unfortunate is the fact that the NFL would probably fine Ihenacho if he ever altered his cleats for a game. However, both those things don't necessarily mean we've seen the last of Ihenacho's ingenuity.
Sundays are out of the question, but the safety can definitely restart the act when the Redskins begin training camp in late July, and since he has about six weeks on his hands until then, he should have plenty of chances to brainstorm a handful of new tape jobs. With that being said, just in case his creative juices aren't flowing, we've come up with some ideas for him.
Duke Ihenacho's could tape his cleats to look like:
- Crocs - Though not necessarily the coolest type of footwear, Crocs are apparently very comfortable, and making his cleats look like them would allow Ihenacho to take his craftsmanship to a whole other level. In addition, this design would endear him to middle-aged Redskins fans everywhere.
- Ugg Boots - This idea may require Ihenacho to extend the tape up to his socks, but younger, more hip Redskins fans would go crazy for it. Pumpkin spice latte not included.
- Gladiator sandals - Football players are often referred to as gladiators, so fashioning his cleats to look like gladiator sandals would help Ihenacho get in the right mindset.
- Dress shoes - It's often said that the first thing someone notices about another person is what they wear on their feet. This is the classiest choice of the bunch, and would surely set up Ihenacho to make up a good first impression when he gets back in front of coaches later in the summer.
- Cleats - Taping his cleats to look like cleats would be an ironic and funny twist, but for a man whose Twitter handle is "NachoLyfe," nothing is out of the question.