Redskins

Quick Links

McCloughan did his homework before signing Galette

juniorgalette.png

McCloughan did his homework before signing Galette

RICHMOND—Redskins GM Scot McCloughan said he and other members of the team’s front office interviewed over 20 people about Junior Galette before deciding to sign the troubled former Saints linebacker.  

“It was a long process,” McCloughan said Sunday at the Bon Secours Training Facility. “I will promise you guys this: being new here and knowing where we’re going and what we want to build, I’m not going to bring a bad guy in. I will not give on that, at all.”

McCloughan said also spoke at length with Galette. Coach Jay Gruden and team president Bruce Allen also met with him. 

“I told him, I want you to be you,” he said. “The reason I’m here [is] to sit down with you face-to-face, one-on-one, an hour, two hours, three hours—it doesn’t matter. I want to get to know you as a person. That’s what matters to me. I [said], ‘I know you as a football player, I want to know you as a person.’ He’s so sincere and so excited about the excited about the opportunity to prove that he’s a good guy, a good football player, that he has a good career ahead of him.”

McCloughan added: “I sat with him for two hours. It was very intense. Very intense. To the point where we were almost face-to-face. I was telling him what I expect. If he can’t bring it, then we don’t want you.”

RELATED: How big a role for Redskins RB Matt Jones?

Asked why he decided to roll the dice on Galette, even after saying he was looking to build the Redskins around only high character players, McCloughan said: “[He’s] not a bad guy. All players have issues. We all have some kind of issues. We’ve all made mistakes. I don’t repeat offenders. I don’t want the guy that I know is not going to be a good guy to bring into our locker room.”

“What you always read in the media and hear in the media is not always accurate,” he continued. “We did our investigation. We were thorough, thorough, thorough. [We talked] to the league office, other players and coaches in the league. This guy we feel very comfortable with going forward. Very comfortable.” 

Galette was released by the Saints last week because the team, which paid him a $12 million bonus in March, believed the off-the-field issues outweighed his on-the-field production. The NFL is investigating Galette’s January arrest for alleged domestic violence incident; the charges were later dropped. The league is also looking into a two-year-old video that allegedly shows Galette striking a woman with a belt during a group altercation on a beach. 

“I did not like the video at all,” McCloughan said. “As a matter of fact, when I saw the video it was scary. That’s why I want to meet with him face-to-face. That’s why I had to sit down and ask him what happened. I got the real story and I’m fine with that.”

 McCloughan, who declined to share what Galette told him about the incident, said it’s still possible Galette could will face league-imposed discipline. 

“There’s a chance,” he said. “It’s still in the process with the league. We’ve been in touch with the league the whole time. There’s a chance that something happens but we’re definitely willing to take that chance, knowing that he’s going to be a Redskin and knowing that he’s going to give us a lot of games.”

The Redskins signed Galette on Friday to a one-yea contract that will pay him the league minimum of $745,000. 

“It’s a good contact for us, but it also gave him an opportunity to play in the NFL again,” said McCloughan, who added that Galette understands that another off the field slip-up could end his tenure in Washington.

MORE REDSKINS: Galette addition will shuffle the Redskins’ OLB depth chart—but when?

Quick Links

New free agent Doug Martin unlikely fix to Redskins' woeful run game

New free agent Doug Martin unlikely fix to Redskins' woeful run game

News broke Tuesday that the Tampa Bay Bucaneers released former Pro Bowl running back Doug Martin, and while the name certainly triggers value, his play of the last two seasons should calm the excitement. 

Since a 2015 season where Martin rushed for 1,400 yards and averaged nearly 5 yards-per-carry in 16 games, Martin has been suspended, undergone substance abuse rehab and missed games due to injury.

In the last two seasons, Martin has played in 16 of 32 games, rushed for 827 yards and averaged less than 3 yards-per-carry.

Over his six year NFL career with the Bucs, Martin has only played two full seasons. Those two seasons were great, in 2012 and 2015, but the other four have been largely disappointing. 

RELATED: WHAT SHOULD THE REDSKINS DO AT RUNNING BACK?

The Redskins averaged just 3.6 yards-per-carry last season, and could definitely use a boost in the run game. It's entirely possible Washington might look to upgrade their offensive backfield this offseason, either in free agency or in the 2018 NFL Draft, but Martin does not look like the player to help. 

Early in the 2017 season, it appeared the Redskins run game might be a strength for the offense. After a disappointing effort on the ground to open the year in a loss to the Eagles, the Redskins rushed for at least 111 yards in their next three contests, including nearly 230 yards on the ground in a Week 2 win over the Rams. 

Injuries undid the run game, however, as Rob Kelley got hurt and the offensive line lost players, too. Over the course of the season, rookie Samaje Perine sustained minor injuries and Chris Thompson was lost for the year with a broken leg. 

Going into 2018, Kelley, Perine, Thompson and Kapri Bibbs are all on the roster and expected for now to stay with the team. That's yet another reason why the Redskins are likely to stay away from Doug Martin.

RELATED: 2018 NFL MOCK DRAFT 5.0

Want More Redskins? Click here for the #RedskinsTalk on Apple Podcastshere for Google Play or press play below.

Don't forget to subscribe!

Quick Links

Need to Know: Redskins' Junior Galette will be a valued free agent

Need to Know: Redskins' Junior Galette will be a valued free agent

Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, February 20, 22 days before NFL free agency starts.

I’m out this week so I’ll be re-posting some of the best and most popular articles of the past few months. Some may have slightly dated information but the major points in the posts still stand. Thanks for reading, as always.

Galette to be a valued free agent

Originally published 12/13/17

Like the Redskins, the Broncos are no longer relevant in 2017. Both teams’ fan bases have started to look towards the coming offseason.

To give their readers what they want, the Denver Post published an article by Mike Renner of Pro Football Focus that discussed some of the top pending free agents who have done the most to increase their values in the past year. There were two Redskins named, one you would expect to see on such a list and one that might surprise some people.

Kirk Cousins is at the top of the list. “The Washington signal-caller is grading as a top-10 quarterback (82.8), and soon he’ll have the long-term contract of one,” Renner wrote. “Only this time its value will be exponentially higher than any one he would have signed back when he first became a free agent in 2016.”

But the surprising name is that of Junior Galette. After missing the last two seasons with two torn Achilles tendons, he played this year on a one-year, $800,000 deal. And while he hasn’t been on fire in the sack department with just two on the year, he has been getting pressure on the passer.

“He’s accumulated the 27th-highest pass-rushing grade of any edge defender this season, but in only 264 snaps,” wrote Renner. “At 29 years of age, it’s doubtful he ever gets back to the level of the contract that he once had on the table with New Orleans. With how he’s played this season though, some pass-rush-needy team will pay handsomely for his services.”

One team that could be considered to be pass rush needy is the Redskins. Preston Smith is the starter and supposedly one of the Redskins’ top pass rushers. But in 100 fewer pass rush snaps this year, Galette has only three fewer quarterback hits than Smith and six more hurries.

And after missing those two seasons, Galette has remained healthy. Although he was limited with a hamstring during much of the preseason, he has not missed a practice or appeared on an injury report this year.

But would the Redskins be willing to pay him “handsomely”? Perhaps a good comp would be Connor Barwin, who moved from the Eagles to the Rams this past offseason at the age of 31. He had five sacks in Philly in 2016. That got him a one-year deal worth $3.5 million.

Barwin likely will have more sacks on his ledger going into free agency so let’s say Galette could command around $3 million. Perhaps he could offer Washington a bit of a hometown discount and agree to something in the $2.75 million range. If that is the case, the Redskins would be smart to keep him around for another year.

Plenty of things could alter the equation. If Galette gets hot in the last three games and posts a few more sacks his price could rise. With Smith and Ryan Kerrigan both back next year, perhaps Galette will want to go somewhere that he might get more playing time.

The details need to be sorted out but don’t be surprised if Galette gets a lot of attention in free agency, as much as teams need pass rush, and if the Redskins have to make a very tough decision about how much he is worth.

Stay up to date on the Redskins. Rich Tandler covers the team 365 days a year. Like his Facebook page Facebook.com/TandlerNBCS and follow him on Twitter @TandlerNBCS.

Timeline  

Days until:

—NFL Combine (3/1) 9
—NFL Draft (4/26) 65
—2018 NFL season starts (9/9) 201