Here is what you need to know on this Monday, December 8, six days before the Washington Redskins go to the Meadowlands to play the New York Giants.
Three and out
1. Colt McCoy had a day like a few that Robert Griffin III has had this year. His numbers weren’t all that bad with 20 completions in 32 attempts for 199 yards. But the offense never got going, spinning its wheels due to two interceptions thrown by McCoy, seven sacks, and another day of failure when it comes to third-down conversions (three in 12 attempts, 25 percent).
2. And the Redskins couldn’t run the ball, as they mustered just 27 yards on the ground. That’s the fewest rushing yards in a game for them since they had 26 in a 2011 game against the Bills. They also were shut out in that game, 23-0. The Rams came into the game allowing 4.3 yards per carry; the Redskins averaged 2.3 per carry yesterday.
3. The Redskins came into the game with a pass defense so weak that the average opposing quarterback had a passer rating of 107.3. That’s what Peyton Manning's passer rating was for the season going into Sunday’s games. Shaun Hill did even better, completing 16 of 22 passes for 213 yards and two touchdowns, a passer rating of 133.3. That’s a career high for him in a game where he threw more than 20 passes and his highest in any game he started since 2008.
Out: This team is just a mess right now. It should be noted that special teams contributed to the loss as well by allowing a punt return for a touchdown along with a couple of other gaffes. The organization thought it had two quality quarterbacks coming into the season in Griffin and Kirk Cousins. When they failed McCoy looked like he could get it done but this game creates doubts. The Rams stacked the box, stopped Alfred Morris, and dared McCoy to beat them. McCoy couldn’t and the Redskins did not take a snap inside the Rams 20 yard line.
—Today’s schedule: Open locker room 11:30; Jay Gruden news conference 3:00 p.m.
—Days until: Redskins @ Giants 6; Eagles @ Redskins 12; 2015 NFL Draft 144
If you have any questions about what's going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I'll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I'm always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- Redskins Blanked
- Tress Way takes blame for failed fake punt
- RG3: 'I am not going to undermine anybody'
- Redskins unable to establish run game vs. Rams
- McCoy ineffective, injured in blowout loss
- Jim Haslett responds to criticism from former Redskin
- Rams troll Redskins with captain selection over infamous RG3 trade
- Redskins hit a new low in shutout loss to Rams
- Rams defensive lineman calls FedEx Field turf 'horrible'
- London Fletcher slams Redskins Jim Haslett as "clueless"