Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, September 17, three days before the Washington Redskins host the St. Louis Rams.
Five Redskins who are under the gun on Sunday
QB Kirk Cousins—He probably has a longer leash than most people think he does. But it’s not unlimited and at some point he has to play a clean game, make plays in the clutch, and, for the first time since 2012, have the team win a game that he starts and finishes. No better time than the present, although the Rams have a tough defense from front to back. Cousins likely will appear on this list every week until he puts together a solid performance.
P Tress Way—Rarely does the punter appear on a list like this but he admitted that he outkicked the coverage on Jarvis Landry’s 69-yard punt return on Sunday and Tavon Austin is coming to town. Way likes to let it rip but he will need precision punting if they are going to keep Austin out of the end zone. Whether he needs to go to a higher and shorter when kicking to Austin or just boot it out of bounds, he needs to execute whatever the call is.
G Brandon Scherff—Aaron Donald is not as big as Ndamukong Suh but he is quicker and more active. He will be a different kind of challenge for Scherff, who did pretty well against Suh. If Cousins is going to have a chance to get going, Scherff keeping Donald under control will be critical.
CB DeAngelo Hall—It may be unfair to put this on Hall but the veteran corner—or somebody—needs to get a takeaway or two. The Redskins had their hands on three interceptions and a fumble on the second-half kickoff. They came up empty. The last time Hall played a full season in 2013 he had four interceptions with two returned for touchdowns and a fumble recovery for a TD. If he can bring one back this week it could be contagious.
WR Ryan Grant—He is likely to get most of the snaps that will be available to the backup wide receivers with DeSean Jackson sidelined. Jay Gruden is always singing his praises so it is time for him to produce. Grant has Jamison Crowder and Rashad Ross behind him so he needs to show what he can do.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:40; Jay Gruden and Joe Barry news conferences and player availability
—Days until: Rams @ Redskins 3; Redskins @ Giants Thursday night 7; Eagles @ Redskins 17
In case you missed it
- Jackson: 'Hopefully I can get back faster'
- Injuries, suspension force Redskins to tweak depth chart for Week 2
- Fantasy Outsider: Making sense of Week 3 in the NFL
- Kicker Dustin Hopkins speaks on joining Redskins
- Why Kirk Cousins drives his grandma's van
- Knighton out of Redskins practice on Wednesday
- What to watch: Redskins may turn to short passes instead of runs
- Redskins will face two of NFC's top Week 1 performers on Sunday
- The normally bad Rams are very good against the Redskins
- Rams’ top draft pick not ruled out for Redskins game
- First thoughts on Redskins vs. Rams