Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, January 3, 117 days before the Redskins make their pick in the first round of the 2015 NFL draft.
Three and out—Would A. J. Smith be an upgrade?
1. How much can A. J. Smith help the Redskins? It depends on how much authority he’s given in his “enhanced” role”. If he’s not given any he can’t do any more in a new role at Redskins Park than he does now from his home in Del mar, California. Without power he’ll just be trading his home in the Pacific coast town of Del Mar for one in Ashburn and a bigger paycheck.
2. It’s not a stretch to say that Smith could greatly improve the quality of players the Redskins draft. He was GM and in charge of the Chargers’ draft from 2003-2012. In that time he drafted 12 players with a career approximate value (a metric used by Pro Football Reference to measure the quality of a player’s career) of 40 or better. In that same time frame the Redskins drafted three such players,
3. We’ll have to see how things develop before we can evaluate this potential move. If he gets some authority he can be the first new set of eyes in the building with some juice in several years. And it’s hard to imagine that he’ll make the move and take the job without real power. Redskins fans shouldn’t throw a big party if he takes a quasi-GM role without the title. But they should be happy that they have someone who has experience in building a roster would be taking over for Bruce Allen, who does not.
Out: We haven’t really gone much into why Jim Haslett is no longer the Redskins’ defensive coordinator. The numbers his defenses have put up both here and elsewhere are well known so there’s really no need to go into detail on those. I think the straw that broke the camel’s back, however, was him publically lobbying for Allen to bring back Brian Orakpo, DeAngelo Hall, Chris Baker, and Perry Riley. Haslett got all of them and things were not better on defense. Oh, and the hints that he would “unshackled” from meddling by Mike Shanahan and able to run the defense his way didn’t help either. He got the players, he got the unfettered authority, and the defense still wasn’t very good.
—It’s been 6 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 254 days until they play another one
—Days until: NFL free agency starts 67; 2015 NFL Draft 117
If you have any questions about what's going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I'm always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- Redskins expected to offer Smith new role to boost talent evaluation
- Redskins' Allen: 'Free agency is not going to be your solution'
- No Redskins named to All-Pro team
- Redskins draft prospects watch: Standout Scherff in TaxSlayer Bowl
- What are the rules for NFL teams granting permission to interview assistants?