Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, December 18, two days before the Washington Redskins host the Philadelphia Eagles.
Three and out—
1. With the early game this week the Redskins are going to make up for lost time. Although today is scheduled like one of their lighter Friday sessions they will go a little heavier. I asked Gruden about the schedule “Thursday we’ll change it up a little bit and do more specific work – red zone – and then Friday, instead of doing a walkthrough, we might have a little shorter practice session to make up for some of the periods we lost,” he said.
2. Chris Thompson wasn’t afraid to admit that he was a little bit scared when the participated his first NFL plays from scrimmage but he said that he settled in quickly. “I was very nervous, not sure if I was going to be able to get the job done,” he said. “As the game went on, they gave me a lot more reps than I expected, I started to feel more comfortable and calmed down a whole lot. As the games keep coming along, hopefully I’ll get better.”
3. The Redskins routinely submit plays with questionable calls to the NFL and Jim Haslett said yesterday that the league informed them that Bashaud Breeland should not have been penalized for taunting early in the Giants game and that a third-quarter pass interference penalty should not have been flagged either. Breeland had a tough day battling much of the time with rookie receiver Odell Beckham Jr. Although the notification from the league won’t change the final score or take away any of Beckham’s 12 receptions but it does validate Breeland’s style of play.
Out: Since 1998, the Redskins have been in the top half of the league in scoring points just three times. In those 17 years they have had some better defensive seasons. They have been in the top half in points allowed six times including four times in the top 10. Only one of those appearances in the top half of the league has come since 2008; in 2012 they were fourth in scoring. While a team is building it needs to be able to lean on something, either an ability to occasionally outscore its opponents or shut them down. The Redskins, for the most part, have had neither.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 11:10; Jay Gruden and Sean McVay news conferences, player availability after practice, approx. 12:30
—Days until: Eagles @ Redskins 2; Cowboys @ Redskins 10; 2015 NFL Draft 134
If you have any questions about what's going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I'll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I'm always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- Gruden: 'A ton of respect' for RG3
- DeSean Jackson says he's over the Eagles
- Gruden likes the Redskins 'core' of players
- Report: Vick says playing for Skins would be a dream come true
- Tarik El-Bashir and Clifton Brown talk Ravens, Redskins
- 2015 NFL mock draft: Wish list shouldn't start with Winston, Mariota
- Jordan Reed misses practices for child's birth
- RG3 and Gruden may get a do over in 2015
- McCoy wants to return to Redskins, almost certainly will want a raise