Here is what you need to know on this Monday, December 9, six days before the Washington Redskins visit the Atlanta Falcons.
Five stats and other notes from the Redskins’ 45-10 loss to the Chiefs on Sunday:
1. In the first half of their 13 games the Redskins have given up 226 points. With three games left to play, that already is the most points they have given up in any half during a full season in their history. They gave up 225 in the first halves of their 16 games in 1998.
2. Redskins QB’s were sacked six times. They have now given up 25 sacks in their last five games. That is the most during any five-game stretch since sacks become an official stat in 1982.
3. Alfred Morris rushed for 31 yards to go past the 1,000-yard mark for the second straight season. He is the first player to do that since Clinton Portis in 2007-2008 and he is the first Redskin to do it in his first two years in the league.
4. Pierre Garçon has 31 yards receiving to go over the 1,000-yard mark for the season in that category. He has the 27th 1,000-yard receiver season in team history.
5. The Redskins’ 3-10 record is their worst after 13 games since they were 2-11 in 1994, Norv Turner’s first season as head coach.
Like Real Redskins on Facebook!
—Redskins defensive coordinator Jim Haslett was born on this date in 1955; Redskins offensive linemen Adam Gettis was born on this date in 1989.å
—Days until: Redskins @ Falcons 6; Cowboys @ Redskins 14; Opening Sunday 2014 season 272
—Today’s schedule: Mike Shanahan news conference 3:00, telecast on Comcast SportsNet.
In case you missed it
How long can Mike Shanahan survive?
The Giants shipped out Jason Pierre-Paul for life as a Buccaneer, and in turn, Tampa will send a third and fourth round draft pick to New York.
Moving Pierre-Paul comes at a curious time for the Giants. The team will eat $15 million of dead money in the move, and New York also sent a fourth-round pick to Tampa as part of the transaction.
What it definitely signals is that Big Blue looks to be moving from a 4-3 base defense to a 3-4 look. Additionally, with the second overall pick in the NFL Draft in April, maybe the Giants will seriously look at NC State defensive lineman Bradley Chubb.
<<<CLICK HERE FOR REDSKINS BEST DRAFT PICKS SINCE 2000>>>
For the Redskins, seeing Pierre-Paul leave the NFC East is welcome news. He has 12.5 career sacks against Washington QBs, the same amount he has against the Eagles and Cowboys combined.
Want more Redskins? Click here to follow JP on Facebook and check out @JPFinlayNBCS for live updates via Twitter! Click here for the #RedskinsTalk on Apple Podcasts, here for Google Play or press play below. Don't forget to subscribe!
The Redskins and linebacker Zach Brown agreed to a three-year contract that will require Brown to continue to play at a high level if he is going to collect all of the $21 million the deal contains.
Brown’s camp reportedly was shopping for a contract that had some $20 million in guaranteed money. The actual deal fell well short of that.
Brown, who was leading the league in tackles before an assortment of injuries forced him to sit out the last three games, got a total of $5.5 million in fully guaranteed money. He got a $4.5 million signing bonus and his $1 million salary for 2018 is fully guaranteed.
MORE REDSKINS: NFL MOCK DRAFT 6.0
After that, the remaining two seasons essentially are team options. In 2019 he has a $6.75 million salary and $4.5 million of that is guaranteed for injury. His 2020 salary is $7.5 million with no guarantees of any kind.
The contract also has per-game roster bonuses available at a rate of $15,625 for each game he is on the 46-man game day roster in 2018 (total of $250,000 for the year) and $31,250 per game in 2019 and 2020 ($500,000 total).
The salary cap hits per year are as follows:
2018: $2.75 million
2019: $8.75 million
2020: $9.5 million
The average annual value of $7 million ranks ninth among inside linebackers.
Brown will need to continue to play well to collect on the contract. The team will be able to save $5.75 million on the 2019 cap if they terminate the deal after one season and $8 million if they do it in 2020.
RELATED: EARLY LOOK AT REDSKINS DEPTH CHART--DEFENSE
Stay up to date on the Redskins. Rich Tandler covers the team 365 days a year. Like his Facebook page Facebook.com/TandlerNBCS and follow him on Twitter @TandlerNBCS.