Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, January 1, 119 days before the Redskins make their pick in the first round of the 2015 NFL draft.
Three and out—Happy New Year edition
1. Before I could ask Bruce Allen my planned question about why season ticket holders should expect things to be any different, someone else asked a similar question. Here is Allen’s response: “I think there is going to be changes. I know Jay mentioned that he’s going to make some changes and there’s going to be some other changes. But that’s part of the evaluation process right now. We’re looking for the solutions to get the team back on track. It seems like a long time ago when we won the division, and in football I guess it’s sort of like those dog years, it does multiply with each year. But, I’ve seen different people perform, I’ve seen the way people have evaluated talent, I’ve seen the way they’ve worked together, and I know this group will do it again.”
2. Like many answers yesterday, it was sadly lacking in meat on the bone. You certainly don’t expect Allen to lay out his offseason plan in front of the world. But you do expect him to give answers that provide confidence that he has a plan that will work. He failed. There are plenty of reasons to be distrustful of his ability to guide the franchise out of the wilderness. I always say to judge by what they do and not by what they say so we will see what happens. Based on what we’ve heard, there are grounds to be skeptical of every move we see. (Here is the transcript of Allen's news conference)
3. The first major move that Allen and Jay Gruden will make is hiring a defensive coordinator to replace Jim Haslett, who parted ways with the Redskins yesterday. The only potential candidate to surface is an internal one, secondary coach Raheem Morris. We’ll flesh out that possibility in the next day or two but there has to be some hesitation there due to the fact that the defensive backfield frequently was a mess. There also is the matter of Morris being in the building already and a different set of eyes from the outside to fix the struggling defense might be a better option. Morris would be a popular choice among the players but that right there may be a good reason to find an outside hire.
Out: Happy New Year! Thanks for your support and reading and discussing my posts. As far as the Redskins go, there's no place to go but up in 2015 (well, almost).
—It’s been 4 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 256 days until they play another one
—Days until: NFL free agency starts 69; 2015 NFL Draft 119
If you have any questions about what's going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I'll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I'm always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- Redskins, Haslett part ways
- Allen defends signing of Hatcher, Orakpo
- Redskins' Allen says RG3 'can play in this league'
- Redskins draft prospect watch: Safety prospects on display in Orange Bowl
- Allen: Redskins will have "plenty" of cap space
- Redskins draft prospect watch: Redskins get help from Boise?
- Report: Mike Shanahan in the mix for top NFL coaching vacancy