Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, December 10, four days before the Washington Redskins go to the Meadowlands to play the New York Giants.
Three and out--Redskins back to work
1. The Redskins get back to work today preparing for the Giants. Wednesday is usually the day that the starting quarterback talks to the media. The podium at Redskins Park could be a little bit crowded because as of this moment Robert Griffin III, Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy all could start. Or perhaps they could have them in separate locations and have all three speaking at the same time. That would give it the feel of a three-ring circus, which would be, well, never mind.
2. I’m not sure what the defense can say about blown coverages that we haven’t heard before. There are some whispers that some players on defense simply aren’t putting in the time in the film room needed to make all of the details second nature, things like what pattern a receiver likes to run from a particular formation in a particular down and distance situation. The coaches can give them the information but without studying and watching it on film players need to think about it and if they have to do that the battle is already lost. Some who do put in the extra time are dropping hints that not everyone who should be staying late is doing so.
3. Alfred Morris rushed for just six yards against the Rams on Sunday, further advancing the notion that he has much more running room with Griffin at quarterback. Morris has no fewer than 90 yards in any of the four games that Griffin started and completed. In his last six games without Griffin in the lineup Morris has 29, 41, 54, 73, 67 and six yards rushing.
Out: I really wonder if Gruden and the other powers that be at Redskins Park agree with the fans and media that the offensive line is in serious need of an upgrade. On Monday, Gruden said that “one or two” of the seven sacks the QB’s took against the Rams were on the offensive line. After the Colts game (six sacks), Gruden and Sean McVay both said that the line protected pretty well. As always, I will watch what they do and not what they say. But be prepared for anything.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 10:40; Open locker room and Jay Gruden news conference after practice, approx. 12:30.
—Days until: Redskins @ Giants 4; Eagles @ Redskins 10; 2015 NFL Draft 142
If you have any questions about what's going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I'll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I'm always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- Redskins make roster moves
- Wendy's Q&A: Did Gruden give RG3 a quick hook?
- Report: No structural damage to McCoy's neck, status still uncertain
- Week 15 Waiver Wire: Heeeeeeere's Johnny!
- Former Redskins WR Aldrick Robinson signs with Ravens
- Gruden got more than he bargained for in coming to Redskins
- McCoy: 'Our protection failed a lot'
- Redskins' QB situation in disarray