Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, December 2, five days before the Washington Redskins play the St. Louis Rams at FedEx Field.
Three and out--Will Gruden fight for Haslett?
1. Jay Gruden took something of a neutral stance when he was asked about the future of Jim Haslett. When asked about Haslett, Gruden said there were “way too many holes” in the defense against the Colts and that Haslett would be evaluated at the end of the season along with the rest of the coaches. What was missing was any sort of pronouncement that “Haz has done a great job this year” or other platitude that could be considered an endorsement.
2. When Gruden was hired and Haslett was retained, I said that Gruden like Haslett and was happy to give him a shot but that he wouldn’t fall on his sword for him. Things may be playing out that way. It appears that if Bruce Allen is inclined to let Haslett go after the season, Gruden may not raise any objection.
3. With the Redskins giving up six sacks, the offensive line is taking a lot of heat. But Gruden said that it wasn’t all on the line. “Actually the offensive line protected pretty well and they blocked pretty well,” he said. “They didn’t grade out 100 percent - we expect better from them - but they actually didn’t play bad. When you talk about pass protection, it’s not just the five linemen. You know, sometimes the tight end and the backs are involved.”
Out: Gruden doesn’t seem to mind if a player just gets beaten on a move but missed assignments seem to be getting to him. “That’s the most disappointing thing,” he said. “I can understand some of the young guys getting beat man-to-man, or giving up a pressure to a good pass rusher on third-and-14 or a good TE stunt or whatever, but some of the blown assignments are the most frustrating so far.” In answer to another question he said, "We’ve got to fight to make sure these things get corrected . . . or we’ve got to make some moves.”
—Today’s schedule: Off day, no availability
—Days until: Rams @ Redskins 5; Redskins @ Giants 12; 2015 NFL Draft 149
If you have any questions about what's going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I'll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I'm always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- Haslett to be evaluated like others
- Converting third downs has been consistent issue for Redskins
- Gruden provides injury updates on Jackson, Meriweather
- Luck torches Redskins on money down
- Are Redskins playing with enough passion?
- Odds favored Gruden on fourth down call but it backfired due to execution
- Who's to blame for the Redskins' blown coverage issues--players or coaches?
- Colts 49, Redskins 27 notes and numbers