Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, January 8, 61 days before NFL free agency starts
Three and out—Will Redskins fans be patient?
1. Scot McCloughan is a believer in the draft. He cut his teeth in the Packers organization where the philosophy was, and still is, to build through the draft. As GM of the 49ers McCloughan did not add free agents until he had build a solid base through the draft.
2. I think that such a philosophy in theory would do well if you took a poll of Redskins fans. But building through the draft takes time. McCloughan was GM of the 49ers from 2005-2010. He drafted well during that time. But the team’s records were 4-12, 7-9, 5-11, 7-9, 8-8, and 6-10. It wasn’t until after he left and Jim Harbaugh came aboard as the head coach did things gel in San Francisco.
3. To be sure, it doesn’t have to take that long. But McCloughan has said that he had his share of misses in the draft in both Seattle and San Francisco. The team is starting from a rather thin talent base. Will Redskins fans accept five years with no winning seasons and three of those with double-digit losses?
Out: Again, perhaps the Redskins can get lucky. A big key will be the quarterback. The Niners struggled with Alex Smith behind center. If Robert Griffin III can adapt to passing from the pocket or if Kirk Cousins can solve the interception problems, perhaps they can get a jump-start. But it’s not at all hard to imagine a slew of #FireScot hashtags populating Twitter if the team is again out of playoff contention again next November. Some will look at there being more homegrown talent on the team and accept it as part of the process. Others will look at the bottom line and ask very loudly what went wrong with the “savior”.
—It’s been 11 days since the Redskins played a game. It will be about 247 days until they play another one
—Days until: NFL free agency starts 61; 2015 NFL Draft 112
If you have any questions about what's going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. And I'm always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- What now for the Redskins?
- It's official: Redskins sign Scot McCloughan as new GM
- Seahawks with McCloughan wanted Cousins in 2012 draft
- Redskins' GM Scot McCloughan has 'eyes' for talent
- McCloughan will have full personnel control
- Redskins dismiss strength coach
- Has Snyder found the right structure for the Redskins?