Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, December 31, 120 days before the Washington Redskins make their pick in the first round of the 2015 NFL draft.
Three and out—More change for the sake of change?
1. This seems to be Jay Gruden’s New Year’s resolution. “There are some changes that are going to be made,” he said on Monday. “I do have a lot of respect for everybody, the way the worked and prepared, but we do have to get better. We do have to make some changes. I promise you this – this will not be the same football team, football staff right now that we’re going to have the start of next year. So we’re going to have a lot of changes that are done and made and hopefully for the better.”
2. Of course change, in and of itself, is not necessarily a positive. There was a lot of change a year ago with a new head coach, a new person with final say on personnel decisions, and in excess of 20 new players. The result of all this change was one more win and continued dysfunction. The old saying about the chairs on the doomed ocean liner comes to mind.
3. The one change that many want to see is at defensive coordinator. While the money quote from Gruden on Jim Haslett was, “I would recommend keeping him, yes,” that doesn’t mean that it will happen. Gruden said that very reluctantly, after having been given three or four previous chances to give Haslett a vote of confidence. He may “recommend” that Haslett be retained. But will he fight for Haslett, stand on the table for him? I don’t know for sure but I doubt it.
Out: Bruce Allen, the man most responsible for the flurry of changes in the past year that didn’t accomplish much of anything, will take questions from the media today at 10:30. Among the many questions I want to make sure he answers—Why should a season ticket holder or an out of town fan with the Sunday ticket renew to continue to spend his money when the organization just can’t get it right?
—Today’s schedule: Bruce Allen news conference 10:30
—Days until: 2015 NFL Draft 120; 2015 NFL season opening Sunday 256
If you have any questions about what's going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I'll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I'm always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- Could Cleveland trade for Kirk Cousins?
- In final meeting, Gruden issues 'challenge' to Redskins
- Redskins draft prospect watch: Notre Dame vs LSU
- Redskins draft prospects to watch: Belk Bowl
- Redskins draft prospect watch: Foster Farms Bowl
- Redskins sign 8 to futures contracts
- Will Cousins get a chance to compete for the Redskins QB job?
- Will Gruden try to get rid of the dry snitches?