Quick Links

Redskins players don't seem surprised by big QB news


Redskins players don't seem surprised by big QB news

Players in the Redskins’ locker room did not sound as though they were surprised by Monday’s big quarterback news. 

“We were going to support whoever the starter was,” said defensive lineman Kedric Golston, the longest tenured player on the team. “No matter if you’re a starter or a backup—no matter what your role is—you’re a part of the team. The coaches made that decision.”

Earlier in the day, Coach Jay Gruden told his players in a team meeting that Kirk Cousins would be named the starter and that Robert Griffin III would be shown to the bench for the third time in three years.

Although controversy has been swirling around the quarterback position for the better part of two seasons, Golston said he’s never allowed the ongoing saga to become a distraction.  

“Obviously, you have to answer the questions, but it’s not like I’m worried about a question [a reporter] asks me when I’m out on the field,” Golston said. “At the end of the day, you have to go out there and take care of your responsibility, control what you can control and not worry about the rest of it.”

MORE REDSKINS: RG3's Redskin career: How did we get to where we are today?

He added: “People can make it what they make it what they want to make it. It’s not up to me to try to decipher how somebody is going to metabolize this decision. At the end of the day, the decision was made. Nothing has changed. We still play Jacksonville on Thursday. Miami is still the opener, last time I checked. Obviously, people are going to talk to about it and come up with whatever conclusion they want. But it’s my job to play defensive line here and support all of my teammates.”

Running back Chris Thompson, who was one of the few players on offense who were available to reporters Monday, said he was not caught off guard by the announcement.  

“Whatever decision they made, we were good with it,” Thompson said. “Everybody, the ones, two and threes, we’ve all worked with all the quarterbacks before. I just think they finally had to make a decision, and they did. So we have to go with it.”

Asked if he suspected that there was a quarterback competition underway, despite Gruden’s claims to the contrary, Thompson said flatly:  “I feel like every single day is a competition.”

DeAngelo Hall, meantime, didn’t have much to say at all. Like many around this organization, it seems that he’s also suffering from RG3 fatigue.

“I don’t get paid enough for all this, man; I’m just employee 23,” the veteran cornerback cracked before saying he would only answer questions about the defense. 

Quick Links

Terrelle Pryor reportedly closing in on deal with new team

Terrelle Pryor reportedly closing in on deal with new team

Former Washington Redskin Terrelle Pryor may have found a new home after a tumultuous season in Washington.

The 28-year-old wide receiver appears to be on the way to the New York Jets for the 2018 season according to Ian Rappaport.

Last season, Pryor only played in nine games for Washington and was sent to injured reserve after Week 11. His season ended with ankle surgery and it closed the book on a short stint in the nation’s capital.

In his nine games, he never got on the same page with former Redskins’ quarterback Kirk Cousins. Targeted only 37 times, the six-year veteran only had 20 receptions for 240 yards and a single touchdown.

This is coming after a 1,000-yard season on the dismal Cleveland Browns team that went 1-15 in 2016. As a free-agent, he signed with Washington on a ‘prove-it’ deal for one-year, eight million last off-season. He was expected to a significant amount of touches alongside Josh Doctson.


With so much anticipation it was easy to say that Pryor’s lone season in Washington was a disappointment.

If he does sign with the Jets, Pryor joins a New York franchise that is still continuing to rebuild. They currently own the No. 3 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft and are in search of a quarterback.  A year ago they finished 5-11 under third-year head coach Todd Bowles.

Transitioned to wide receiver in Cleveland, Pryor was drafted into the league as a quarterback.  He spent three seasons in Oakland (2011-13) all as a quarterback making 10 starts. In Cleveland (2015-16) he made the transition to wide receiver before going to Washington in 2017.


Quick Links

Good news Redskins fans: Jason Pierre-Paul shipped out of NFC East


Good news Redskins fans: Jason Pierre-Paul shipped out of NFC East

The Giants shipped out Jason Pierre-Paul for life as a Buccaneer, and in turn, Tampa will send a third and fourth round draft pick to New York.

Moving Pierre-Paul comes at a curious time for the Giants. The team will eat $15 million of dead money in the move, and New York also sent a fourth-round pick to Tampa as part of the transaction. 

What it definitely signals is that Big Blue looks to be moving from a 4-3 base defense to a 3-4 look. Additionally, with the second overall pick in the NFL Draft in April, maybe the Giants will seriously look at NC State defensive lineman Bradley Chubb. 


For the Redskins, seeing Pierre-Paul leave the NFC East is welcome news. He has 12.5 career sacks against Washington QBs, the same amount he has against the Eagles and Cowboys combined. 

Want more Redskins? Click here to follow JP on Facebook and check out @JPFinlayNBCS for live updates via Twitter! Click here for the #RedskinsTalk on Apple Podcastshere for Google Play or press play below. Don't forget to subscribe!