49ers

49ers CB Dontae Johnson: 'I've been through it all ... no one is safe'

johnson-dontae-49ers-white-torrey.jpg
AP

49ers CB Dontae Johnson: 'I've been through it all ... no one is safe'

SANTA CLARA – Cornerback Dontae Johnson entered this season with six career starts in three full NFL seasons.

Now, midway through his fourth year in the league, Johnson feels like a seasoned veteran and a sage to his younger teammates.

“I’ve learned a lot in four seasons,” said Johnson, 25. “I try to continue to pass it on to the young guys. You’re forced to grow up in this league. I’ve been through it all. I’ve been through different coaches, different schemes and turnover, as far as players.

“At the end of the day, the organization has a vision and they’re going to get the right guys in here for that vision.”

Johnson has started the first nine games of the season – his final year under contract to the 49ers. It remains to be seen whether Johnson fits into the organization's vision for the future. General manager John Lynch will almost certainly attempt to upgrade the talent and dept at the cornerback position.

Defensive coordinator Robert Saleh recently described Johnson as a steady, reliable player.

“He plays it smart, he does,” Saleh said. “He does play smart. My evaluation of him so far is he’s been very consistent.”

Johnson said he is trying to focus on his job and not think about anything beyond the upcoming opponent.

“We’ll sit down, my agent and I, and the team will sit down after the season,” Johnson said. “We’re not focused on that right now. That’s been my focus each and every week. It hasn’t been on getting a new contract. It’s been a week-to-week basis of me going out there and trying to put my best foot forward.”

Johnson said he was “shocked” a week ago when he learned cornerback Rashard Robinson was traded to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft pick. Robinson started the first seven games before losing his starting job to rookie Ahkello Witherspoon.

“No one is safe, including myself,” Johnson said. “But at the end of the day, the organization and the team and staff here expect everybody to carry themselves a certain way. When it’s all said and done, I’m here to do a job and do it to the best of my abilities.”

Johnson has played for four head coaches and four defensive coordinators in his four seasons in the league. He would like some stability, for sure, but he has also gained experience in dog years since entering as a fourth-round draft pick in 2014.

“It’s starting to hit me that I have to be an older guy and help the young guys, bring them along. Just give them knowledge,” Johnson said. “This is a serious game. Everybody wants to win. The profession and the business we’re in, it’s all about winning. I’m just trying to pass that along to the younger guys.

“I feel like I can do things better. Do the little things necessary or make a big play to give our team a chance to win the game. What I’m doing isn’t enough. We need to do things better. I need to do things better. That’s that, because we aren’t winning.”

Source: 49ers agree to terms with first-round pick Mike McGlinchey

Source: 49ers agree to terms with first-round pick Mike McGlinchey

The 49ers agreed to contract terms with first-round draft pick Mike McGlinchey contract three days before the club is scheduled to report to training camp.

The NFL Network reported Sunday night that McGlinchey signed the deal. A source told NBC Sports Bay Area the contract will be made official on Monday morning.

McGlinchey, who is slated to start at right tackle as a rookie, was the No. 9 overall selection from Notre Dame. McGlinchey is slated to make $18.34 million over the course of his four-year deal with a signing bonus of $11.4 million.

Wide receiver Dante Pettis, the No. 44 overall selection, is the only 49ers’ unsigned draft pick and the only NFL rookie chosen outside of the first round who remains unsigned.

The 49ers’ traded right tackle Trent Brown to the New England Patriots shortly after investing their first-round pick in McGlinchey. The 49ers sent Brown and a fifth-round pick (Purdue linebacker Ja’Whaun Bentley) to the Patriots for a third-round pick (Southern Mississippi defensive back Tarvarius Moore).

The 49ers report to training camp in Santa Clara on Wednesday. The club's first practice is scheduled for Thursday.

T.O. 'not actively seeking' NFL return, expounds on Hall of Fame decision

owensap.jpg
AP

T.O. 'not actively seeking' NFL return, expounds on Hall of Fame decision

Terrell Owens still is showing off the kind of spectacular shape he is in, even at 44 years old. Just look at his social media pages, and you'll see T.O. working out with today's NFL stars and running a blazing 40-yard dash. 

Even though he's about to be enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, is Owens looking to make a comeback? 

On Tuesday, Canada-based agent Jason Staroszik told TSN and ESPN that T.O. "100 percent" wants to play football again. On Wednesday at the ESPYS, the former 49ers wide receiver clarified his comments. 

Owens says he isn't "actively seeking to get into the NFL," but he did say he would entertain other opportunities with football, including the CFL. 

"I know that I do have the ability to play," Owens said, via ESPN.com. "I know everybody sees the shape that I'm in. There's a lot of athletes that play their prospective sports, but there are few guys that defy the odds. I think I'm one of those guys.

"It's unfortunate that I haven't been able to continue my career, but again, I'm not actively seeking to get into the NFL; but again, if there's an opportunity for me to play, then yeah, I will entertain that, as well as the CFL."

The hot topic with Owens lately has been his decision to not attend the Hall of Fame ceremony. Instead of being in Canton, Ohio next month, Owens will make his own speech at his alma mater, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.

"It's always unfortunate, and people have a lot to say when someone does something different, but what I'm doing is not wrong," he said.

Owens said he has been working every day on his acceptance speech. As far as what went into his decision to not attend the ceremony, Owens looked to legendary basketball coach John Wooden. 

"For me, I think, overall, everybody's obviously wondering what went into my decision," Owens said. "I think John Wooden said it best: 'Be more concerned about your character than your reputation.' I think what the noise is right now is more about my reputation than my actual character.

"They're making the narrative more so about me offending the Hall of Famers, and that has nothing to do with it. I respect all of those Hall of Famers that have gone in before me and going in with me and after me. It has nothing to do with those Hall of Famers."