The 49ers on Thursday traded center Daniel Kilgore to the Miami Dolphins one day after signing free-agent center Weston Richburg.
The 49ers and Dolphins swapped seventh-round picks in this year's NFL Draft. The 49ers send Kilgore and the ninth pick of the seventh round (No. 227 overall) to the Dolphins in exchange for the fifth pick of the seventh round (No. 223 overall).
Kilgore signed a three year, $11.75 million contract with the 49ers in February. Kilgore was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this offseason.
The 49ers signed Richburg as a free agent on Wednesday, and did not envision Kilgore making the switch to compete for a starting job at guard. Richburg opened the past three seasons as the starting center for the New York Giants. Richburg signed a five-year contract worth up to $47.5 million, including a $9.3 million signing bonus.
With the trade of Kilgore, the 49ers could be back in the free-agent market.
Kilgore goes to the Dolphins, who released veteran center Mike Pouncey on Thursday to save $7 million in cap room.
“On behalf of the entire organization I want to thank Dan for everything he contributed to this team and the Bay Area community over the last seven seasons,” 49ers general manager John Lynch said in a statement. “When Kyle and I arrived last offseason, we knew right away that he was a well-respected leader in the locker room and a true professional. We are pleased to be able to help find Dan a great situation to be able to continue his career, and we wish him and his wife, Megan, the very best.”
Kilgore, 30, came to the 49ers in 2011 as a fifth-round draft pick. He started 39 of the 74 games in which he appeared in his career, including 29 the past two seasons.
49ERS 2018 DRAFT PICKS
1. First round: No. 9 overall (own pick)
2. Second round: No. 59 overall (New Orleans pick acquired in 2017 draft-day trade)
3. Third round: No. 70 (own pick)
4. Third round: No. 74 overall (Chicago pick acquired in 2017 draft-day trade)
5. Fourth round: No. 128 overall (Pittsburgh pick acquired in 2017 trade of Vance McDonald)
6. Fifth round: No. 143 overall (N.Y. Jets pick acquired in 2017 trade of Rashard Robinson)
7. Sixth round: No. 184 (own pick)
8. Seventh round: No. 223 overall (Miami pick acquired in 2018 trade of Daniel Kilgore)
9. Seventh round: No. 240 overall (Kansas City pick acquired in 2016 trade of Kenneth Acker)
*-Second round, own pick, traded to New England for Jimmy Garoppolo
*-Fourth round, own pick, traded to Denver for Kapri Bibbs and a 2017 fifth-round pick
*-Fifth round, own pick, traded along with Vance McDonald to Pittsburgh for 2018 fourth-round pick
*-Seventh round, own pick, traded along with Kilgore to Miami for 2018 seventh-round pick