49ers

49ers place running back Jeff Wilson Jr. on reserve/COVID-19 list

49ers place running back Jeff Wilson Jr. on reserve/COVID-19 list

The 49ers on Thursday placed running back Jeff Wilson Jr. on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Wilson, who reported to training camp on Tuesday for the first round of testing, becomes the second 49ers player to go on the list. Receiver Richie James was placed on the COVID-19 list earlier this week.

Players go on COVID list for the purposes of being placed in quarantine as a result of an exposure to COVID-19 or a positive test for COVID-19. Teams are not allowed to identify exact reasons.

The 49ers also announced the cuts of defensive lineman Alex Barrett and offensive lineman Leonard Wester.

The 49ers now have 79 players on their roster. Wilson and James do not count against the player limit while on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

[RELATED: 49ers' Shanahan-Lynch pairing is a union to be cherished]

Wilson, 24, a two-year veteran, appeared in 10 games last season and carried 27 times for 105 yards and four touchdowns. In the Super Bowl, Wilson appeared in five plays on offense and caught one pass for 20 yards.

[49ERS INSIDER PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode]

Seahawks claim D.J. Reed day after 49ers waived injured defensive back

Seahawks claim D.J. Reed day after 49ers waived injured defensive back

The 49ers took a gamble Tuesday when the club placed defensive back D.J. Reed on waivers.

One day later, the Seattle Seahawks pounced.

The Seahawks claimed Reed off waivers. He goes on the active/non-football injury list due to a torn pectoral sustained during an offseason workout.

General manager John Lynch said this week the decision was made to effectively end Reed’s season with the 49ers because the club anticipated his return no earlier than November. Lynch said the team did not want to devote a roster spot to a player who might not be available to play until December.

[49ERS INSIDER PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode]

While Reed currently counts against the Seahawks’ roster, he will open the season on reserve/non-football injury. He will be ineligible for the first six weeks of the season, but could return to contribute later in the season.

Reed, a Bakersfield native who attended college at Kansas, was a fifth-round draft pick of the 49ers in 2018.

He appeared in 31 regular-season games and all three postseason games during his time with the club. He started two games as a rookie and is capable of playing cornerback, nickel back and safety.

[RELATEDMostert explains tough decision to play 2020 NFL season]

After registering 41 tackles and a sack as a rookie, Reed saw limited action last season with 13 tackles. He was one of the team's core special-teams players. Reed scored a touchdown on a 5-yard fumble return on kickoff coverage after a botched lateral on the final play of the 49ers’ 36-26 victory over the Arizona Cardinals on Nov. 17.

Reed becomes the fourth former 49ers player on the Seahawks, joining running back Carlos Hyde, guard Mike Iupati and fullback Nick Bellore.

49ers' Raheem Mostert explains tough decision to play 2020 NFL season

49ers' Raheem Mostert explains tough decision to play 2020 NFL season

Raheem Mostert has a secure role on the 49ers.

And he had an adjusted contract to account for the possibility -- if not likelihood -- that he again will be the team’s leading rusher.

Yet, it was not a simple decision for Mostert and his wife, Devon, to go ahead and report to training camp in Santa Clara.

“I’m not going to be opting out, but it was a long, very long, and tough discussion with my wife,” Mostert said Wednesday on a video call with Bay Area media.

[49ERS INSIDER PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode]

There have been 54 players around the league who officially have opted out this season over concerns about the spread of COVID-19. Wide receiver Travis Benjamin on Tuesday night became the first player on the 49ers to announce his decision to opt out

Mostert was among the first athletes to take the threat of the coronavirus seriously. He announced on March 4 he was canceling an appearance out of an autograph show in Santa Clara.

Devon and the couple’s 13-month-old son Gunnar remain in Cleveland. The couple is expecting their second child in late-September.

But Mostert finally has built his career to the point where he will be able to provide for his family. It would have been difficult to pass up a season at a time when Mostert is in his prime.

“She understands the importance of me being out here, being able to provide for the family and all those good things,” Mostert said. “We had more positive talks than negative.

“We’ve been able to communicate on a day-to-day basis, just understanding each other’s feelings and make sure she’s at ease, especially during her time with this with the uncertainty of COVID, as well as having the (upcoming) birth of our second boy.”

[RELATED: 49ers need Taylor now more than ever with Benjamin out]

Mostert said he is not certain if he will return to Cleveland to be with his wife early in the football season for the birth of their second child. He and Devon will continue to weigh the pros and cons. But Mostert said coach Kyle Shanahan pledged his full support of whatever the Mosterts decide.

“He told me, ‘Hey, man, we’re always here; whatever you need, we’re going to provide that for you; and we’re going to make sure everything is in your corner,' " Moster said of Shanahan.