49ers

49ers select Notre Dame T Mike McGlinchey with No. 9 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft

49ers select Notre Dame T Mike McGlinchey with No. 9 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft

MIKE McGLINCHEY
Position: Offensive tackle
College: Notre Dame
Height: 6-8
Weight: 309
Selection: First round (No. 9 overall)
Scouting report: McGlinchey was widely considered the top tackle in this draft and only behind Notre Dame teammate Quenton Nelson as the top offensive lineman entering the league. He has a background as a tight end. He has good athleticism. After playing right tackle for his first two college seasons, he moved to the left side as a junior before turning pro.
Projected role: The 49ers selected McGlinchey over such options as defensive backs Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James, and linebacker Tremaine Edmunds. The club has the option of trying McGlinchey initially at guard to see if he fits into the competition on the interior offensive line. Regardless, his future is at tackle, where Joe Staley and Trent Brown are now stationed. Brown will miss the offseason program due to shoulder surgery but should be back for training camp. Brown enters the final year of his contract, and the 49ers have shown no interest in signing him to a long-term contract extension. If Brown is out of shape when he returns to the playing field, McGlinchey can easily fit in that job. In his second season, that should be no question who will start at right tackle. After Staley's career is over, McGlinchey can step in at left tackle.
Quotable: "I was 260 pounds at signing day, and now I’m standing at almost 315, so a lot physically has changed about me. I went into school as skinny and little. I knew I was going to play offensive tackle but I wasn’t physically prepared to do it. It took a long time, it took two years before I started my first game as a redshirt freshman and I got beat up a lot, I made more mistakes than I can even count and that’s the reason why I’m here today is because of the way that I was pushed. I needed to learn a lot about O-line, playing it the right way, doing things the right way and how to be a pro about it.”
--Mike McGlinchey, describing how he developed his game.

Shanahan remains in contact with Reuben Foster, shares his state of mind

Shanahan remains in contact with Reuben Foster, shares his state of mind

SANTA CLARA – A judge will make a crucial ruling on Wednesday that is likely to determine the 49ers' next move with linebacker Reuben Foster, who faces two felony counts of domestic violence.

The decision will be announced at 3:30 p.m. at the Hall of Justice in San Jose whether probable cause was demonstrated last week during a preliminary hearing. Foster faces three felony charges of domestic violence, forcefully attempting a victim from reporting a crime, and possession of an assault weapon.

Foster has not taken part in any of the 5 ½ weeks of the team’s offseason program since the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office filed the formal charges in April. The 49ers opened organized team activities on Monday.

“It’s still ongoing,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said of Foster’s legal issues. “Hopefully, we’ll have some more answers by tomorrow. We’ve been patient this whole time. We’re going to continue to be patient until we get a few more answers. And, then, when the decision does come, I promise you guys, I’ll answer that for you right away.”

The DA's office last week attempted to present evidence in court to justify moving forward to the trial phase with Foster. However, the accuser, Foster’s former girlfriend, recanted her initial statements to policy and gave testimony that supported Foster's defense.

The woman, Elissa Ennis, said under oath last week that Foster did not harm her. She said her injuries were the result of a fight with one or two women following a road rage incident the night before the alleged incident with Foster. She said she was upset because Foster was threatening to break up with her and she wanted to ruin his career. She said she lied about her accusations of Foster's abuse.

The 49ers took no action after the initial reports of the alleged incident, choosing to let the legal process play out. Although Foster has not been showing up at team headquarters, members of the organization are remaining in contact with him.

“I reach out to him about once or twice a week to see how he’s doing,” Shanahan said.

How is Foster doing?

“He’s hanging in there,” Shanahan said. “Obviously, it’s a tough challenge. I think anyone would realize. It’s a very hard thing to go through. We’ll see how this ends up, but just always hope that every situation you’re in, in the long run, it can make you a better person and a better man. And I think Reuben is handling it right.”

Report: NFL teams viewed Kaepernick as a starting QB, collusion case reveals

kap.jpg
USATSI

Report: NFL teams viewed Kaepernick as a starting QB, collusion case reveals

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick opted out of his deal with the San Francisco 49ers last March, and went unsigned for the entirety of the 2017 season. That, reportedly, may not have been because of his playing ability. 

Testimony from witnesses under deposition in Kaepernick's collusion case against the NFL and "internal franchise documents generated as part of the free-agency evaluation process" indicated that multiple teams viewed Kaepernick as good enough to be a starting quarterback, Pro Football Talk reported Monday, citing a source with knowledge of the situation.

Kaepernick filed a grievance under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement in October, alleging that he was unsigned after first sitting, than kneeling, during the national anthem to protest police brutality and racial inequality throughout the 2016 season. He started 11 games in 2016, throwing for 2,241 yards, 16 touchdowns, and four interceptions. His interception percentage (1.2 percent) was sixth-lowest among starting quarterbacks (minimum 10 starts) that year, and he finished 17th in passer rating (90.7).