49ers

Attorney: DA's office has video showing Reuben Foster's ex-girlfriend in fight

Attorney: DA's office has video showing Reuben Foster's ex-girlfriend in fight

The video that is described as proof that 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster did not injure his former girlfriend is now in the hands of the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s office.

Attorney Stephanie Rickard, who represents Foster’s former girlfriend, said prosecutor Kevin Smith is now in possession of the video, which is described as showing the alleged victim sustaining injuries in a fight with another woman.

“I will let him make the call as to if he wants to release it,” Rickard told NBC Sports Bay Area in an email.

Foster’s former girlfriend, Elissa Ennis, released a statement Wednesday through her attorney in which she recanted statements she gave to officers on Feb. 12 after an alleged dispute with Foster in Los Gatos. According to the DA’s office’s report, the woman was bruised and sustained a ruptured ear drum. The woman told investigators that Foster hit her eight to 10 times.

Foster was charged with two felonies: domestic violence and attempting to prevent a victim from reporting a crime. Foster also faces a felony charge of possession of an assault weapon. He could face up to 11 years in prison if convicted of the crimes.

But Ennis disclosed in the statement that the charges against Foster were "based on lies," and her injuries were the result of a fight with another woman. Foster tried to end his relationship with Ennis after he learned of the fight, Rickard said.

“She was extremely upset and told him if he broke up with her she would ‘trash his career,’ ” said Rickard, who revealed the existence of a video showing Ennis’ fight with the other woman.

According to the statement released through the woman's attorney, she went to the DA's office to recant her original version of the incident, but formal criminal charges were still filed against Foster.

Neither the DA’s office or the 49ers have commented on the latest development in the Foster case.

Foster is next scheduled to appear in court on Monday at 9 a.m.

Shanahan remains in contact with Reuben Foster, shares his state of mind

Shanahan remains in contact with Reuben Foster, shares his state of mind

SANTA CLARA – A judge will make a crucial ruling on Wednesday that is likely to determine the 49ers' next move with linebacker Reuben Foster, who faces two felony counts of domestic violence.

The decision will be announced at 3:30 p.m. at the Hall of Justice in San Jose whether probable cause was demonstrated last week during a preliminary hearing. Foster faces three felony charges of domestic violence, forcefully attempting a victim from reporting a crime, and possession of an assault weapon.

Foster has not taken part in any of the 5 ½ weeks of the team’s offseason program since the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office filed the formal charges in April. The 49ers opened organized team activities on Monday.

“It’s still ongoing,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said of Foster’s legal issues. “Hopefully, we’ll have some more answers by tomorrow. We’ve been patient this whole time. We’re going to continue to be patient until we get a few more answers. And, then, when the decision does come, I promise you guys, I’ll answer that for you right away.”

The DA's office last week attempted to present evidence in court to justify moving forward to the trial phase with Foster. However, the accuser, Foster’s former girlfriend, recanted her initial statements to policy and gave testimony that supported Foster's defense.

The woman, Elissa Ennis, said under oath last week that Foster did not harm her. She said her injuries were the result of a fight with one or two women following a road rage incident the night before the alleged incident with Foster. She said she was upset because Foster was threatening to break up with her and she wanted to ruin his career. She said she lied about her accusations of Foster's abuse.

The 49ers took no action after the initial reports of the alleged incident, choosing to let the legal process play out. Although Foster has not been showing up at team headquarters, members of the organization are remaining in contact with him.

“I reach out to him about once or twice a week to see how he’s doing,” Shanahan said.

How is Foster doing?

“He’s hanging in there,” Shanahan said. “Obviously, it’s a tough challenge. I think anyone would realize. It’s a very hard thing to go through. We’ll see how this ends up, but just always hope that every situation you’re in, in the long run, it can make you a better person and a better man. And I think Reuben is handling it right.”

Report: NFL teams viewed Kaepernick as a starting QB, collusion case reveals

kap.jpg
USATSI

Report: NFL teams viewed Kaepernick as a starting QB, collusion case reveals

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick opted out of his deal with the San Francisco 49ers last March, and went unsigned for the entirety of the 2017 season. That, reportedly, may not have been because of his playing ability. 

Testimony from witnesses under deposition in Kaepernick's collusion case against the NFL and "internal franchise documents generated as part of the free-agency evaluation process" indicated that multiple teams viewed Kaepernick as good enough to be a starting quarterback, Pro Football Talk reported Monday, citing a source with knowledge of the situation.

Kaepernick filed a grievance under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement in October, alleging that he was unsigned after first sitting, than kneeling, during the national anthem to protest police brutality and racial inequality throughout the 2016 season. He started 11 games in 2016, throwing for 2,241 yards, 16 touchdowns, and four interceptions. His interception percentage (1.2 percent) was sixth-lowest among starting quarterbacks (minimum 10 starts) that year, and he finished 17th in passer rating (90.7).