49ers

Greg Cosell raves about 49ers' third-round pick Moore: 'This kid is a fascinating prospect'

mooretarvariuspick.jpg
USATSI

Greg Cosell raves about 49ers' third-round pick Moore: 'This kid is a fascinating prospect'

In the third round (No. 95 overall) of last week's draft, the 49ers selected Tarvarius Moore.

He played safety at Southern Miss, but the 49ers are expected to play him at cornerback.

"I really, really like (him) and I watched him late in the process because I was told about him," Greg Cosell said on KNBR 680 on Monday. "This kid is an explosive athlete. He ran a 4.32 and his vertical jump is over 38 inches.

"I thought he was one of the better safety prospects in the draft class. I'm sure playing at Southern Miss hurt his draft stock."

If all goes according to plan, Akhello Witherspoon and Richard Sherman will be the starting cornerbacks on the outside.

Jimmie Ward -- who can play practically everywhere in the secondary -- will open the offseason program at corner while Sherman recovers from two surgeries.

At safety, the 49ers have Jaquiski Tartt (who signed a two-year extension last week) and Adrian Colbert.

There's also nickel back K'Wuan Williams, and incoming rookie D.J. Reed (a fifth round pick).

So there is plenty of competition for Moore.

As Matt Maiocco wrote:

Moore should be an immediate impact player on special teams while the team tries to find his niche on defense. The 49ers are going to play him at cornerback. If he has a difficult time in that new spot, his ability to play center field could place him into the competition to start at free safety. At worst, he should suit up as a backup.

"This kid's a premium athlete. He has basically unmatched size, speed, explosiveness as a profile," Cosell added. "I really liked him. Now, that doesn't mean he's gonna come in and be an All-Pro in his rookie season. but I think this kid is a fascinating prospect."

Shanahan remains in contact with Reuben Foster, shares his state of mind

Shanahan remains in contact with Reuben Foster, shares his state of mind

SANTA CLARA – A judge will make a crucial ruling on Wednesday that is likely to determine the 49ers' next move with linebacker Reuben Foster, who faces two felony counts of domestic violence.

The decision will be announced at 3:30 p.m. at the Hall of Justice in San Jose whether probable cause was demonstrated last week during a preliminary hearing. Foster faces three felony charges of domestic violence, forcefully attempting a victim from reporting a crime, and possession of an assault weapon.

Foster has not taken part in any of the 5 ½ weeks of the team’s offseason program since the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office filed the formal charges in April. The 49ers opened organized team activities on Monday.

“It’s still ongoing,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said of Foster’s legal issues. “Hopefully, we’ll have some more answers by tomorrow. We’ve been patient this whole time. We’re going to continue to be patient until we get a few more answers. And, then, when the decision does come, I promise you guys, I’ll answer that for you right away.”

The DA's office last week attempted to present evidence in court to justify moving forward to the trial phase with Foster. However, the accuser, Foster’s former girlfriend, recanted her initial statements to policy and gave testimony that supported Foster's defense.

The woman, Elissa Ennis, said under oath last week that Foster did not harm her. She said her injuries were the result of a fight with one or two women following a road rage incident the night before the alleged incident with Foster. She said she was upset because Foster was threatening to break up with her and she wanted to ruin his career. She said she lied about her accusations of Foster's abuse.

The 49ers took no action after the initial reports of the alleged incident, choosing to let the legal process play out. Although Foster has not been showing up at team headquarters, members of the organization are remaining in contact with him.

“I reach out to him about once or twice a week to see how he’s doing,” Shanahan said.

How is Foster doing?

“He’s hanging in there,” Shanahan said. “Obviously, it’s a tough challenge. I think anyone would realize. It’s a very hard thing to go through. We’ll see how this ends up, but just always hope that every situation you’re in, in the long run, it can make you a better person and a better man. And I think Reuben is handling it right.”

Report: NFL teams viewed Kaepernick as a starting QB, collusion case reveals

kap.jpg
USATSI

Report: NFL teams viewed Kaepernick as a starting QB, collusion case reveals

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick opted out of his deal with the San Francisco 49ers last March, and went unsigned for the entirety of the 2017 season. That, reportedly, may not have been because of his playing ability. 

Testimony from witnesses under deposition in Kaepernick's collusion case against the NFL and "internal franchise documents generated as part of the free-agency evaluation process" indicated that multiple teams viewed Kaepernick as good enough to be a starting quarterback, Pro Football Talk reported Monday, citing a source with knowledge of the situation.

Kaepernick filed a grievance under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement in October, alleging that he was unsigned after first sitting, than kneeling, during the national anthem to protest police brutality and racial inequality throughout the 2016 season. He started 11 games in 2016, throwing for 2,241 yards, 16 touchdowns, and four interceptions. His interception percentage (1.2 percent) was sixth-lowest among starting quarterbacks (minimum 10 starts) that year, and he finished 17th in passer rating (90.7).