49ers

Hyde upbeat after accepting offseason challenge

carlos-hyde-usatsi.jpg
USATSI

Hyde upbeat after accepting offseason challenge

Running back Carlos Hyde entered his contract year with the 49ers without any guarantees from the 49ers’ new regime.

That was made abundantly clear to him during a meeting during the 49ers’ offseason program when running backs coach Bobby Turner, a veteran of more than 20 years as an NFL assistant, made a startling announcement to his position group.

“What challenged me is Bobby T. said I wasn’t the starting running back,” Hyde said on the 49ers Insider Podcast. “He made an announcement to the running back room that I’m not the starter. I felt some type of way about that.

“It took me back to when I was in college. That’s exactly what my college coach did. He came in and he was like, ‘Los is not the starter. 'Even though he was the starter last year, that doesn’t make him the starter this year.'

“So when Bobby T. did that, I’ve been in this position before, so I know exactly how to approach this.”

Hyde remained in Santa Clark between the end of the 49ers’ nine-week offseason program and the beginning of training camp to work out, watch film and eat healthy meals at the team’s cafeteria.

The 49ers’ offense has not run smoothly this season, but Hyde is 12th in the NFL with 639 yards rushing. He is fifth among running backs with a career-high 49 receptions for 295 yards.

Hyde said he has not given much thought to his future, but he has appeared to showed enough promise for the 49ers to be interested in re-signing him as a free agent. The 49ers have taken notice of Hyde’s attitude. He appears to be more upbeat than at any point since arriving in 2014 as a second-round draft pick from Ohio State.

Hyde said he has taken time to appreciate his situation of playing in the NFL, which seemed like an impossibility when he was experiencing a rough environment growing up in Cincinnati before moving to Florida to live with his grandmother after his freshman year of high school.

“I’m just blessed. I’m able to play this game that I love,” Hyde said. “This is a dream come true for me. As a kid, at one point in my life, I didn’t even think I’d make it to the NFL. So to actually make it this far in life, I have no choice but to wake up every day and be happy and be grateful. So I’m happy every day.”

Why Kendrick Bourne is thrilled 49ers put second-round tender on him

Why Kendrick Bourne is thrilled 49ers put second-round tender on him

Wide receiver Kendrick Bourne has become a staple of the 49ers' offense, and the team is looking to keep him around.

Back on March 17, the 49ers placed second-round tenders on Bourne and running back Matt Breida.

Appearing on the 49ers Insider Podcast with NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco last week, Bourne was asked for his thoughts on the 49ers' decision.

"Definitely thrilled," Bourne said from his parents' home in Portland, Oregon. "Just kind of relieved a little bit, just feeling the respect coming around a little bit on my name, respect from the league and all that, the whole nine yards. Especially going to the Super Bowl, my team being a great team, us making it that far helps everybody, period, on the team. So just thrilled and thankful for the Niners for still believing in me after three years, believing for Year Four and just ready to attack it.

"It just sucks that our OTAs have been postponed. Really excited to get back and get to work, be around the guys again, but just a little more time to work and get a little more polished before OTAs, so I guess that's cool now."

As a restricted free agent, Bourne is allowed to negotiate a contract with another team. If he signs an offer sheet and the 49ers choose not to match, the team would get a second-round draft as compensation.

[RELATED: Impact Sanders had on 49ers' receivers]

Undrafted out of Eastern Washington, Bourne signed with the 49ers in 2017. This past season, he caught 30 passes for 358 yards and five touchdowns.

NFL Draft 2020: Agents share how coronavirus changes impact prospects

NFL Draft 2020: Agents share how coronavirus changes impact prospects

The 2020 NFL Draft might favor players who were able to able to attend the Senior Bowl and the NFL Scouting Combine, because of pro days and in-person meetings being canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. But some agents believe teams have all the information they need to proceed on schedule.

Leigh Steinberg and Chris Cabott, from Steinberg Sports and Entertainment, spoke to NBC Sports Bay Area about how their preparation for the draft has been consistent to what they’ve done in the past. Their agency represents Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa and wide receiver Jerry Jeudy, among other draft hopefuls.

Both longtime agents believe players who attended an All-Star event or the combine have an advantage, but that always has been the case. As in every draft, there will be players who exceed expectations and those who don’t live up to them.

“When I first started in the industry in 1975 with Steve Bartkowski, there were no pro days, no team meetings, no combine,” Steinberg said. “If you look at statistics from players then, to those selected in 2005, the players in 1975 were more successful and productive. 

“Teams obviously believe that the more information they have, the better, but at some point, it’s enough. I believe they have enough information to make educated and prudent choices.”

Brett Tessler, who represents 49ers running back Raheem Mostert, believes players who weren’t able to attend or weren’t invited to the combine are at a disadvantage across the board. An off-the-radar player won’t have the chance to catch a scout or coach’s eye at a local pro day and jump up a team’s draft board.

“For most non-combine guys, it's going to put everybody at an equal disadvantage,” Tessler told NBC Sports Bay Area. “Teams will rely more on the spring testing numbers that they got prior to this season.

“But, the biggest disadvantage for non-combine guys trying to get drafted is the lack of being brought in for pre-draft visits, where the medical staffs can do all the background work on these guys that they need to do.”

Just like everyone across the nation, players, agents and teams are taking advantage of video conferencing technology such as Zoom and Skype for their 30 one-on-one pre-draft visits. This actually might be the one advantage for players who have grown up with video calls as the norm.

[RELATED: Why Kentucky's Bowden is intriguing for Shanahan, 49ers]

As in the past, teams still have the ability to ask players schematic questions using a virtual chalkboard, and go over game film during video conferencing sessions. Cabott also believes one resource could be more important than in previous pre-draft research.

“Trainers,” Cabott said. “Those guys who were working with players, getting them ready for pro days will have information that will be important for teams. They can give projections, send videos of testing and have insight to a player’s work ethic.”