49ers

NFL rumors: Odell Beckham Jr. shockingly traded to Browns from Giants

odellbeckhambrownsusatsi.jpg
USATSI

NFL rumors: Odell Beckham Jr. shockingly traded to Browns from Giants

The 49ers won't be getting Odell Beckham Jr.

The star wide receiver had been linked to San Francisco, but he reportedly has been dealt to the Cleveland Browns.

NFL Media's Mike Garafolo was first to report the trade Tuesday.

ESPN's Adam Schefter later confirmed the trade and provided terms.

Beckham Jr. has been one of the most productive receivers so far in his career, as he has totaled more than 90 receptions, 1,300 yards and 10 touchdowns in each of the first three seasons of his five years in the NFL. His 2017 and 2018 seasons were somewhat marred by injury, but he's still considered one of the best wideouts in the game.

The three-time Pro Bowl receiver will join college teammate and longtime friend Jarvis Landry in Cleveland, which Yahoo's Charles Robinson noted might have helped make the deal quickly come together.

NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco reported that the 49ers were interested in adding OBJ, but they clearly were outbid by the Browns.

The 49ers long have needed a No. 1 receiver, and many fans were clamoring for general manager John Lynch to add Beckham or a playmaker such as Antonio Brown to give quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo a weapon.

But Beckham is heading to Cleveland, and Brown is in Oakland.

[RELATED: 49ers 'deep in talks' with Chiefs about Ford trade]

Meanwhile, Lynch's quest for a difference-making wide receiver continues.

Kyle Shanahan's Super Bowl loss with 49ers lingers more than Falcons'

shanahanconfettisadusatsi.jpg
USATSI

Kyle Shanahan's Super Bowl loss with 49ers lingers more than Falcons'

INDIANAPOLIS -- Kyle Shanahan answered countless questions about losing to the New England Patriots with the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI during the week leading up to Super Bowl LIV.

The 49ers coach lost again after all the questions, this time to the Kansas City Chiefs. He's grieving all over again and having a more difficult time reconciling this time around. 

“I think this one was harder than the last one,” Shanahan said Tuesday from the NFL Scouting Combine. “The last one was a bigger loss, I mean at the end and stuff. I just thought we were a better team. The hardest thing for me is I thought we were the best team in the NFL.

“And when you really believe that, and I thought it for a while, it wasn’t just like the last couple weeks of the year. In Atlanta, we kind of got hot at the end of the year, so I felt pretty fortunate.”

Shanahan's 2016 Falcons and his 2019 49ers entered the playoffs with a first-round bye.  The difference is that the 49ers started the 2019 season with an 8-0 run, and finished with a 13-3 regular-season record, clinching the No. 1 seed.

The 2016 Falcons, however, had a 5-3 record at the halfway point. Atlanta won its last four straight games to clinch the No. 2 seed, but played two playoff home games only because the top-seeded Dallas Cowboys lost in the divisional round to the Green Bay Packers. 

[RELATED: 49ers want to bring everyone back, but know it will be tough]

The 49ers have come a long way under Shanahan. They had a fourth-quarter lead in the Super Bowl after winning the 10 games the previous two seasons, but it's difficult to focus on the journey following a painful ending. 

“This year I thought we had it,” Shanahan said. “We were the second-worst team in the league last year, and now we got to live with being the second-best, which I’m proud of. But that is harder, because I truly believe it was there for us.” 

NFL rumors: 49ers' DeForest Buckner rejected contract extension last offseason

NFL rumors: 49ers' DeForest Buckner rejected contract extension last offseason

Atop the list of 49ers' offseason priorities sit the prospective contract extensions for tight end George Kittle and defensive tackle DeForest Buckner. Both players are entering the final year of their current contracts and rank among the best talents at their respective positions throughout the entire NFL.

San Francisco selected Buckner with the No. 7 overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, and he has served as the keystone of the defensive line ever since. He was a critical part of the 49ers' run to Super Bowl LIV, and the team reportedly tried to lock Buckner down for the foreseeable future before the journey to Miami it even got started.

The Athletic's John Middlekauff reported Monday that San Francisco offered Buckner a lucrative extension last offseason, which he ultimately turned down.

"I was told that last year they made a very aggressive offer to him," Middlekauff said on "The Haberman and Middlekauff Podcast." "We're talking in the $60 million range ... Fletcher Cox, years ago, got $63 [million]. They offered less than that, and he said no."

However, Buckner recently took to Instagram to argue against Middlekauff's report.

"When did we start believing everything on the internet," Buckner commented.

Entering his age-25 season in 2016, Cox signed a six-year contract extension with the Philadelphia Eagles for $63.3 million guaranteed. Buckner will turn 26 in March, and one could argue he was more productive over his first four NFL seasons than Cox was. Yes, Cox forced two more fumbles than Buckner, but the 49ers' standout started six more games, deflected nearly twice as many passes, recovered one more fumble and totaled 6.5 more sacks.

For that reason, combined with inflation and the fact that the salary cap has risen since Cox signed his extension, it wouldn't be surprising if Buckner sought a higher guaranteed total from San Francisco -- and received it. 

[RELATED: 49ers want to bring everyone back, but know it'll be tough]

Whether or not he already has turned down such an offer is anyone's guess. But it shouldn't be long before we find out exactly how much is guaranteed on Buckner's next deal.

One thing is certain: It's going to be a lot.