49ers

Participants revealed as 49ers break player-run offensive camp

49ers-camp.jpg
Instagram/@MattBarkley

Participants revealed as 49ers break player-run offensive camp

Camp Hoyer, a three-day gathering of 49ers offensive players, concluded Wednesday morning on the campus of Southern Methodist University in Dallas.

Backup quarterback Matt Barkley posted a photo on Instagram from inside SMU Stadium and declared the gathering a success.

“Great week training with the boys in Dallas!” Barkley wrote. “It’s ‘off-season’ but we used this time to get back in the playbook, go over routes and lift/run together.”

All four of the team’s quarterbacks – starting quarterback and organizer Brian Hoyer, Barkley, C.J. Beathard and Nick Mullens – participated in the workouts.

Others shown in the photo are wide receivers Marquise Goodwin, Aldrick Robinson, Trent Taylor, DeAndre Smelter, Victor Bolden, Kendrick Bourne and DeAndre Carter, tight ends George Kittle and Cole Hikutini, and running back Kapri Bibbs. Receiver Jeremy Kerley and tight end Vance McDonald, who were not pictured, participated in the workouts, too.

The 49ers are scheduled to report to training camp in Santa Clara on July 27 with the first practice scheduled for the following day. The 49ers last practice of the team’s official offseason program was June 14.

During the final week of practices, Hoyer said the plan was for a group of offensive players to get together at some point in the middle of the six-week gap before the start of training camp.

“We'll get as many guys together as we can,” Hoyer said. “You can't accommodate everybody because people are going all across the country. We're going to get together and get three days in and then come back ready to go on July 27th.”

49ers receiver Marquise Goodwin downplays concern over head injuries

49ers receiver Marquise Goodwin downplays concern over head injuries

SANTA CLARA -- Marquise Goodwin received medical attention twice in the fourth quarter of the 49ers’ 27-23 loss to the New York Giants on Monday.

Twice the wide receiver was examined for head injuries, and twice he returned to the game.

Goodwin downplayed the injuries and concern over his condition afterward. He said the night was no more or less physical than the standard NFL game.

“That is every week,” Goodwin said. “That is the name of the game.”

Goodwin, 27, has been placed in the NFL’s concussion protocol a reported six times in his six-year career, including last year’s season finale against the Los Angeles Rams. He was taken to a Los Angeles hospital after being knocked unconscious from a helmet-to-helmet hit from Rams safety Blake Countess. Goodwin was released, and traveled home with his teammates after the Dec. 31 game.

Goodwin was not immediately diagnosed with a concussion Monday night.

He was injured on a 13-yard reception late in the third quarter on a play in which Giants linebacker Alec Ogletree was penalized for unnecessary roughness for a high hit. After sitting out one play, Goodwin returned for the first play of the fourth quarter.

Later, Goodwin got both hands on a Nick Mullens pass but failed to make the catch, and Giants linebacker B.J. Goodson made an interception off the deflection. Goodwin was injured when he made helmet-to-helmet contact with Goodson on the tackle.

When asked if the 49ers’ medical staff tried to convince him to not go back in the game, Goodwin answered: “I have no idea. They were saying the same thing that they would say when anybody is on the ground, which is to take your time getting up.”

Goodwin returned to the game and had a 26-yard catch and run to set up one final 49ers play from the Giants’ 21-yard line. He played 61 of the 49ers’ 73 offensive snaps and caught four passes for 69 yards.

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said he has “zero” say whether players are cleared to return from injuries. He leaves those decisions entirely in the medical staff’s hands.

“The guy is a warrior,” 49ers fullback Kyle Juszczyk said of Goodwin. “We have seen him fight through injury before. It is unfortunate that he has to even experience that. We appreciate him putting his body out there and coming back and giving us a chance to win.”

[RELATED: 49ers Report Card vs Giants]

[MORE: Whitner didn't like Goodwin's dance-off]

Kyle Shanahan non-committal on 49ers starting QB after loss to Giants

Kyle Shanahan non-committal on 49ers starting QB after loss to Giants

SANTA CLARA — The 49ers have some time to determine who will start at quarterback after their Week 11 bye, but the likely choice still is Nick Mullens. 

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan was brief when discussing who would be under center after the break, but he did initially say Mullens would get the nod for a third start.

“I’m sure,” Shanahan said, “but I haven’t thought about it yet.”

Mullens’ second start wasn’t nearly as impressive as his first, but he still remained cool under pressure. He completed 27 of his 39 passes for 250 yards and one touchdown. Unfortunately, he also gets credit for throwing two interceptions, which gave him a passer rating of 73.7. 

Shanahan said that even while facing the adversity of throwing interceptions, Mullens stayed steady.

“He was the same,” Shanahan said. “He had one early. Didn’t change. Didn’t get gun shy. Played his game. I don’t think the picks affected him. He played his game.”

While Mullens might get a third start, Shanahan has been vocal about not having given up on C.J. Beathard. There likely will be a point in the remainder of the season where he is back on the field leading the 49ers’ offense. 

Earlier in the week, Shanahan spoke about giving Beathard a chance to get healthy. 

“I think C.J. started off well, and I think he went through a tough stretch,” Shanahan said. “I think it is good for him to sit back and get fully healthy and heal up and watch someone else do it. He’s only a play away from getting in. So, he’ll be ready.”

The day before Mullens made his NFL debut against the Raiders, Shanahan maintained that a healthy Beathard clearly was the best quarterback on the 49ers' 53-man roster.

“As I’ve said,” Shanahan said, “and I still firmly believe, if C.J. is healthy, he does give us the best chance to win. We just got to see if he’s going to be healthy.”

Shahanan also has said, more than once, that his decision on who starts at quarterback will be made on a week-to-week basis. 

The 49ers have the week off before they begin preparations to face the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday, Nov. 25.