49ers

Report: 49ers give Joe Staley a pay raise

staley-screaming-usatsi.jpg
USATSI

Report: 49ers give Joe Staley a pay raise

Six-time Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Staley reportedly is receiving a raise of nearly $6.5 million over the final two years of his contract.

Staley and the 49ers agreed to terms on a reworked contrac as the team reconvened for the beginning of the official offseason program. A league source told NBC Sports Bay Area that no years were added to Staley's contract, which was set to expire following the 2019 season.

He was scheduled to make $11 million in salary and bonuses over the next two seasons ($5.5 million both years). He will now make a total of $17.4 million, including a raise to $8.72 million in 2018, the NFL Network reported.

Staley, 33, is set to enter his 12th NFL season after the 49ers selected him in the first round of the 2007 draft.

Earlier this offseason, coach Kyle Shanahan spoke about the importance of using some of the club’s salary-cap surplus to reward a player who has out-performed his contract. The 49ers had $46.596 million in cap space before the new contract, according to the NFL Players Association.

“We want to help out Joe and do the right thing for him,” Shanahan said.

“You also have to do what’s right for the organization. You want to do what’s right for all of your players, especially the ones who do things the right way. And Joe is the perfect example of that.”

At the end of the season, Staley told NBC Sports Bay Area there was a point when the 49ers were mired in a nine-game losing streak to open the season that he considered whether he might return in 2018.

But he said he had an uplifting talk with Shanahan that got him re-focused and re-energized to continue his career at a high level. He told his wife, “Hey, I’m going to be a football player for a little bit longer.”

Shanahan remains in contact with Reuben Foster, shares his state of mind

Shanahan remains in contact with Reuben Foster, shares his state of mind

SANTA CLARA – A judge will make a crucial ruling on Wednesday that is likely to determine the 49ers' next move with linebacker Reuben Foster, who faces two felony counts of domestic violence.

The decision will be announced at 3:30 p.m. at the Hall of Justice in San Jose whether probable cause was demonstrated last week during a preliminary hearing. Foster faces three felony charges of domestic violence, forcefully attempting a victim from reporting a crime, and possession of an assault weapon.

Foster has not taken part in any of the 5 ½ weeks of the team’s offseason program since the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office filed the formal charges in April. The 49ers opened organized team activities on Monday.

“It’s still ongoing,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said of Foster’s legal issues. “Hopefully, we’ll have some more answers by tomorrow. We’ve been patient this whole time. We’re going to continue to be patient until we get a few more answers. And, then, when the decision does come, I promise you guys, I’ll answer that for you right away.”

The DA's office last week attempted to present evidence in court to justify moving forward to the trial phase with Foster. However, the accuser, Foster’s former girlfriend, recanted her initial statements to policy and gave testimony that supported Foster's defense.

The woman, Elissa Ennis, said under oath last week that Foster did not harm her. She said her injuries were the result of a fight with one or two women following a road rage incident the night before the alleged incident with Foster. She said she was upset because Foster was threatening to break up with her and she wanted to ruin his career. She said she lied about her accusations of Foster's abuse.

The 49ers took no action after the initial reports of the alleged incident, choosing to let the legal process play out. Although Foster has not been showing up at team headquarters, members of the organization are remaining in contact with him.

“I reach out to him about once or twice a week to see how he’s doing,” Shanahan said.

How is Foster doing?

“He’s hanging in there,” Shanahan said. “Obviously, it’s a tough challenge. I think anyone would realize. It’s a very hard thing to go through. We’ll see how this ends up, but just always hope that every situation you’re in, in the long run, it can make you a better person and a better man. And I think Reuben is handling it right.”

Report: NFL teams viewed Kaepernick as a starting QB, collusion case reveals

kap.jpg
USATSI

Report: NFL teams viewed Kaepernick as a starting QB, collusion case reveals

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick opted out of his deal with the San Francisco 49ers last March, and went unsigned for the entirety of the 2017 season. That, reportedly, may not have been because of his playing ability. 

Testimony from witnesses under deposition in Kaepernick's collusion case against the NFL and "internal franchise documents generated as part of the free-agency evaluation process" indicated that multiple teams viewed Kaepernick as good enough to be a starting quarterback, Pro Football Talk reported Monday, citing a source with knowledge of the situation.

Kaepernick filed a grievance under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement in October, alleging that he was unsigned after first sitting, than kneeling, during the national anthem to protest police brutality and racial inequality throughout the 2016 season. He started 11 games in 2016, throwing for 2,241 yards, 16 touchdowns, and four interceptions. His interception percentage (1.2 percent) was sixth-lowest among starting quarterbacks (minimum 10 starts) that year, and he finished 17th in passer rating (90.7).