TAMPA, Fla. -- Soon-to-be-former 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster and his on-again-off-again girlfriend, Elissa Ennis, reportedly were involved another domestic incident a month ago.

The previously unknown incident was reported to the Santa Clara Police Department in October, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Sunday, citing two sources, and the newspaper later learned details of it from police Capt. Wahid Kazem.

Capt. Kazem told the Chronicle that one of the couple's neighbors called police on Oct. 12 as Foster and Ennis had a loud argument. It started over things found on Foster's cell phone, according to police, who told the couple to peacefully resolve the situation and didn't make any arrests.  

Police did file a report and termed it a domestic disturbance, per the Chronicle. They also took pictures and recorded video, although they saw no signs of injury on either party.

“We are familiar with Mr. Foster’s employer, and incidents like this come up and we play it safe,” Kazem told the Chronicle.

Ennis is the same woman who accused Foster of domestic violence in February in Los Gatos and Saturday night in Tampa. Foster was arrested after both of those incidents.

A 49ers spokesman told NBC Sports Bay Area that the organization was not aware of any other incident.

The 49ers said Sunday morning that they are releasing Foster, who spent the night in Hillsborough County Jail in Tampa. Foster left jail Sunday afternoon after posting $2,000 bond.


[RELATED: 49ers GM Lynch says Foster "did not protect the team"]

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan and general manager John Lynch said Foster failed to live up to the standard they set for him.

“Too many things have happened, and we’ve tried to help him out a lot,” Shanahan said. “I know he’s been trying, too. But this was a mess-up that it doesn’t matter whether he did it or not. It’s time to move on.”

When asked if anything additional happened during the season that led the 49ers to cut Foster after the incident Saturday, Shanahan said, “I think everyone has little things, but nothing like this.”

Foster was taken into custody following an altercation Saturday night at the team hotel. Ennis told police Foster slapped a phone out of her hand, pushed her in the chest area, and slapped her with an open hand on the left side of her face. Officers observed a one-inch scratch on Ennis’ left collarbone, according to the police report.

In February, Ennis told officers in Los Gatos that Foster hit her in the head eight to 10 times. Foster originally was charged with felonies for domestic violence, making criminal threats and weapons possession.

[RELATED: Ratto: 49ers' talent/tolerance strategy failed on Foster]

A judge dismissed the domestic violence charges on May 23, ruling the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s office did not show sufficient evidence to proceed with the case.

Ennis, 28, testified during the preliminary hearing that she lied during her statements to investigators as revenge against Foster, who told her he wanted to break up with her.

As for her motivation for accusing Foster, Ennis said on the witness stand, “I was going to f--- up his career.”