49ers cornerback Richard Sherman said Thursday he plans to play three more NFL seasons after the conclusion of his contract year.
“I do believe I have good years left in me,” said Sherman, who is entering his 10th NFL season. “I’m only going to play three after this. That’s what the wife told me. I don’t call any shots after that.
"If the good San Francisco 49ers would love to keep me on this ballclub, I’d love to be here. But after that, I’m going to go into the booth.”
Sherman told NBC Sports Bay Area last year that ESPN offered him a lucrative contract to broadcast Monday Night Football in 2018.
Instead, Sherman opted to continue his career and sign a three-year contract with the 49ers.
Sherman, 32, who acts as his own agent, said he has engaged in preliminary conversations with the 49ers about remaining with the organization beyond this season.
“But, obviously, when you’re representing yourself, you kind of having to focus on the season when the season comes,” Sherman said.
Sherman is the active NFL leader with 35 interceptions.
He signed with the 49ers after the Seattle Seahawks released him in March of 2018. Sherman was coming off a season-ending Achilles injury. His first season with the 49ers was the first time in his career he did not register an interception.
After returning to the field, Sherman said he had to make adjustments to his game while he was still limited physically.
“It gave me confidence because I was still able to get to some of the spots,” he said. “Now, it was a lot more difficult to get to those spots, and it was a lot more difficult to make the plays, but it wasn’t impossible.
“I feel like once it’s impossible, you got to hang the cleats up and you got to be done. Because there’s a certain standard you have for yourself and there’s a certain standard I play at, and there’s a certain expectation I have for myself.”
Sherman clearly returned to form last season.
He led the 49ers with three interceptions and was named to his fifth NFC Pro Bowl team.