Athletics

Despite stadium uncertainty, Beane stands by long-term plan for A's youngsters

chapman-olson-athletics-usatsi.jpg
USATSI

Despite stadium uncertainty, Beane stands by long-term plan for A's youngsters

The deterioration of ballpark talks at the Peralta site won’t affect the A’s grand plan on the baseball side of things.

At least that’s what vice president of baseball operations Billy Beane told reporters Monday as the Winter Meetings opened in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

The A’s promoted a number of highly regarded minor leaguers last season who showed promise that they could be future foundation pieces. Along those lines, Beane and his staff planned to target some of those youngsters for long-term contract extensions, with an eye toward generating momentum as a new ballpark was built near downtown Oakland.

The A’s will still look to lock up some of those players, Beane said, even after last week’s news that the Peralta Community College District board halted negotiations for the team to build a new ballpark on land that sits near Laney College.

“I think it’s still a strategy we try to embark on,” Beane said of signing young players.

Consider third baseman Matt Chapman and first baseman Matt Olson, who both entrenched themselves last season as rookies, as two obvious candidates for long-term deals at some point. But they aren’t the only two.

When could the first deals come?

“Realistically, the sooner the better,” Beane said. “Certainly we’ve got between now and spring training to introduce the idea. But probably more sooner than later.”

It’s an uncertain time for this franchise. Will the A’s look elsewhere to build in Oakland? They don’t seem thrilled with the idea of revisiting the current Coliseum site or Howard Terminal as possible locations. Could majority owner John Fisher consider selling? And if so, does that open the door to the franchise leaving the Bay Area? It doesn’t seem any scenario should be counted out right now.

No one representing the club, including team president Dave Kaval, has spoken publicly about ballpark plans since the Peralta talks abruptly ended Wednesday.

As far as baseball operations go, it only makes sense to continue down the path that they recently committed to. The only bad course of action for the A’s is not to take any action at all.

Beane and general manager David Forst need to stay the course and continue their commitment to young players, crossing their fingers that the business side of the operation can pivot and find a new direction for building a ballpark.

MLB Hot Stove: James Paxton acquired by Yankees for three prospects

paxton.jpg
AP

MLB Hot Stove: James Paxton acquired by Yankees for three prospects

The Hot Stove is lighting up.

The Yankees have acquired starting pitcher James Paxton from the Mariners for three prospects: Yankees No. 1 pitching prospect Justus Sheffield, outfielder Don-Thompson Williams and right-handed pitcher and Erik Swanson.

He will join a rotation that includes Luis Severino, CC Sabathia and Masahiro Tanaka. Not bad.

And what does that mean for Bay Area teams? Well -- the A's get a slight confidence boost knowing Seattle has one less threat in the American League West. Which is good considering the lefty was throwing his career-best 11.68 K/9 rating in 2018 . His ERA spiked slightly, but he had an insane amount of power he was throwing to last season. But that didn't stop him from tossing a no-hitter on May 8, becoming the first Canadian pitcher to do so.

Oh, and an eagle landed on him, too:

Pretty sure no other pitcher can say that.

Report: Pursued by A's, Kurt Suzuki agrees to contract with Nationals

suzukibraves.jpg
USATSI

Report: Pursued by A's, Kurt Suzuki agrees to contract with Nationals

It appears the original report on former A's catcher Kurt Suzuki possibly making a return to Oakland will not come to fruition.

According to MLB.com executive reporter Mark Feinsand, the 12-year veteran catcher has agreed to a two-year contract with the Nationals.

The details of the deal, according to The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal:

Suzuki spent two seasons with the Nats, where he slashed .239/.297/.344 with eight home runs and 50 RBI in 122 games in 2012 and 2013. He was acquired from the A's by Washington in 2012.

The San Francisco Chronicle's Susan Slusser originally reported the 35-year-old was approached by the A's about a possible one-year deal next season after he recently was granted free agency by the Braves.