After every A’s home win, without fail you’ll hear “Celebration” by Kool & The Gang blaring across the speakers as the team bumps fists on the field.
But … why? Why this song?
Let’s take it back to 1981, when the tune was at the top of the charts. That's when the A’s decided to make that their celebratory theme song in order to enhance the ballpark experience.
All ballparks used the organ to play their songs back then, but the Oakland Coliseum that was the first place to play pop music.
At one point, they tried to steer away from the catchy song and introduce something more local. But that wasn’t much of a success with fans.
You can’t mess with what’s not broken.
Find out more about the song that is synonymous with victory in the video above.
More from "Ever Wonder"
- Ever wonder who catches Warriors' half-court air balls?
- Ever wonder who the man behind "McCovey Cove Dave?"
- Ever wonder where idea for the Giants' Crazy Crab mascot came from?
- Ever wonder how Warriors star trio RUN TMC got their nickname?
- Ever wonder where 'Mr. Irrelevant' came from? It has to do with 49ers
- Ever wonder where Joe DiMaggio's Bay Area roots stem from?
- Ever wonder who the 49ers took with their first-ever draft pick?
- Ever wonder how the "Black Hole" got started?
- Ever wonder how did Steph, Klay become 'Splash Brothers'?
- Ever wonder who is legendary 49ers fan "Banjo Man"?
- Ever wonder where the Sharks' giant head came from?
- Ever wonder why the A's use an elephant as their mascot?
- Ever wonder where Giants anthem creator Ashkon went?