Athletics

Mengden shuts down White Sox, Olson homers as A's win 8-1

mengden-whitesox-ap.jpg
AP

Mengden shuts down White Sox, Olson homers as A's win 8-1

BOX SCORE

OAKLAND -- Daniel Mengden carried a shutout into the ninth inning in his best start of the season and the Oakland Athletics beat the Chicago White Sox 8-1 before another sparse crowd at the Coliseum on Monday night.

Matt Olson homered, Jed Lowrie drove in three runs and Stephen Piscotty had two hits and an RBI for the A's.

Oakland has won consecutive games for the first time this season.

It was Chicago's first game since it won in Minnesota on Thursday. The final three games of that series were postponed by snow.

Mengden (2-2) had allowed three earned runs or more in each of his first three starts but was dominant against Chicago. The right-hander struck out six, walked one and retired 18 of 20 before leaving after giving up Jose Abreu's leadoff home run in the ninth. That was just Chicago's sixth hit.

Olson homered on starter Reynaldo Lopez's first pitch off the fourth. That ended a career-high tying 0-for-12 slump for the A's first baseman.

Lowrie had an RBI groundout in the seventh and a two-run single in the eighth.

The A's also made a pair of defensive gems.

Center fielder Mark Canha made a diving catch on Abreu's sinking liner to end the third. An inning earlier, the A's turned a 5-3-6 double play.

The game was played before an announced crowd of 7,479, the second smallest of the season at the Coliseum. It was the fourth time this year the A's have attracted fewer than 10,000, although it didn't help that the defending NBA champion Golden State Warriors were playing Game 2 of their Western Conference playoff series against the San Antonio Spurs at the same time next door at Oracle Arena.

Tuesday's game should attract a much larger crowd because tickets are free. Vouchers were previously given out online, and no walkups are available.

Lopez (0-2) yielded four hits and two runs over six innings.

The White Sox committed four errors and have lost seven of eight.

TRAINER'S ROOM:
White Sox: C Welington Castillo was back behind the plate after sitting out two games with right knee soreness. ... Kevan Smith began a rehab assignment with Triple-A Charlotte.

Athletics: OF Chad Pinder was reinstated from the disabled list. ... 2B Franklin Barreto was optioned to Triple-A Nashville.

UP NEXT:
White Sox: RHP Miguel Gonzalez (0-2, 8.68 ERA) starts Tuesday night seeking his first win in seven career starts against Oakland.

Athletics: RHP Trevor Cahill (0-0, 0.00 ERA) is expected to be called up from Triple-A Nashville to make his season debut. Cahill spent his first three major league seasons in Oakland from 2009-11.

Watch Ramon Laureano, Laz Diaz argue after questionable strike three

Watch Ramon Laureano, Laz Diaz argue after questionable strike three

Umpire Laz Diaz just wanted to go home.

At least that's what we're going to assume after what transpired at the end of the A's-Blue Jays game on Friday night at the Coliseum.

With two outs in the bottom of the ninth and Toronto leading 5-1, Diaz rung up A's center fielder Ramon Laureano on a high strike three call to end the game.

As you can see from the graphic on the screen during the NBC Sports California broadcast, Diaz got the call wrong.

Diaz walked away and started to head for the clubhouse. When Laureano started yelling at him, Diaz got demonstrative and yelled back. He wasn't about to back down.

A's first base coach Al Pedrique and outfielder Chad Pinder had to hold Laureano back.

"I don't remember what he said, to be honest," Laureano told the media in Oakland after the game.

[RELATED: A's hope KD extension start of new era]

Diaz was wrong on multiple instances here. The pitch was a ball, and he should have just walked away from Laureano.

"In those moments, I'm pretty heated," Laureano said. "I know that. But it's in the past already. I feel good. Tomorrow's gonna be a good day."

Nobody is tuning in for the #UmpShow, bro.

Former A's player asked Dave Kaval about player amenities for future A's home

Former A's player asked Dave Kaval about player amenities for future A's home

When the A's announced the team made plans to move to Howard Terminal near Jack London Square, fans were excited, but many questions remained.

One, in particular, was how the players felt about it. One would assume it would be a positive reaction and the new, beautiful, waterfront location in Oakland could be a great way to recruit players to play for the Green and Gold.

Former A's player, Anthony Recker, made sure to ask Dave Kaval a few questions about this upcoming project during A's Pregame on NBC Sports California before the team faced the Blue Jays on Friday night.

"Have they talked about the players and what the accommodations are going to be like? I'd like to learn a little bit more about that," Recker, who is now part of NBC Sports California's broadcast, asked Kaval.

Kaval said it would be "top tier" in regard to taking care of the players. He has a plan to gather a group of players to inform them of the decision-making process on the design of the clubhouse and all of the amenities to "make sure it's world class."

Recker knows what it likes to spend most of his time at a stadium and in a clubhouse -- he played in the bigs for seven seasons. It's the players' second home, he explained.

"I eat there, I shower there -- I haven't slept there, but I practically do," Recker said. 

Kaval also brought up the importance of making sure this future home of the A's was a place the organization could recruit good talent to.

He also gave an update saying on Tuesday there will be a vote from the county for approval for the A's to purchase the Coliseum site from them and there will be a vote in May from the board commission, as well.

[RELATED: Bob Melvin more certain the ever new stadium will be built]

It appears that everything is on track -- and if not, Kaval has certainly thought everything through. 

You can watch the interview in its entirety atop this page.