Athletics

No-hitter earns Sean Manaea AL co-Player of the Week honors

No-hitter earns Sean Manaea AL co-Player of the Week honors

The end of last week was pretty good for Sean Manaea and the new week got off to a decent start for the A's left-hander.

Two days after no-hitting the MLB-best Red Sox, Manaea was named American League co-Player of the Week along with Orioles third baseman Manny Machado.

It's the first Player of the Week honor for the 26-year-old Manaea.

Manaea threw the seventh no-hitter in Oakland A's franchise history and the first since Dallas Braden in 2010. Manaea struck out 10 and walked two batters in the effort. His defense committed one error along the way.

Manaea is having a stellar start to the 2018 season. In 36.2 innings pitched, he allowed just 16 hits, five earned runs (1.23 ERA) and struck out 30 batters.

What exactly did Machado do last week to keep Manaea from winning the award outright? He went 11 for 22 with two doubles, five home runs, seven runs scored and eight RBI.

Watch Ramon Laureano, Laz Diaz argue after questionable strike three

Watch Ramon Laureano, Laz Diaz argue after questionable strike three

Umpire Laz Diaz just wanted to go home.

At least that's what we're going to assume after what transpired at the end of the A's-Blue Jays game on Friday night at the Coliseum.

With two outs in the bottom of the ninth and Toronto leading 5-1, Diaz rung up A's center fielder Ramon Laureano on a high strike three call to end the game.

As you can see from the graphic on the screen during the NBC Sports California broadcast, Diaz got the call wrong.

Diaz walked away and started to head for the clubhouse. When Laureano started yelling at him, Diaz got demonstrative and yelled back. He wasn't about to back down.

A's first base coach Al Pedrique and outfielder Chad Pinder had to hold Laureano back.

"I don't remember what he said, to be honest," Laureano told the media in Oakland after the game.

[RELATED: A's hope KD extension start of new era]

Diaz was wrong on multiple instances here. The pitch was a ball, and he should have just walked away from Laureano.

"In those moments, I'm pretty heated," Laureano said. "I know that. But it's in the past already. I feel good. Tomorrow's gonna be a good day."

Nobody is tuning in for the #UmpShow, bro.

Former A's player asked Dave Kaval about player amenities for future A's home

Former A's player asked Dave Kaval about player amenities for future A's home

When the A's announced the team made plans to move to Howard Terminal near Jack London Square, fans were excited, but many questions remained.

One, in particular, was how the players felt about it. One would assume it would be a positive reaction and the new, beautiful, waterfront location in Oakland could be a great way to recruit players to play for the Green and Gold.

Former A's player, Anthony Recker, made sure to ask Dave Kaval a few questions about this upcoming project during A's Pregame on NBC Sports California before the team faced the Blue Jays on Friday night.

"Have they talked about the players and what the accommodations are going to be like? I'd like to learn a little bit more about that," Recker, who is now part of NBC Sports California's broadcast, asked Kaval.

Kaval said it would be "top tier" in regard to taking care of the players. He has a plan to gather a group of players to inform them of the decision-making process on the design of the clubhouse and all of the amenities to "make sure it's world class."

Recker knows what it likes to spend most of his time at a stadium and in a clubhouse -- he played in the bigs for seven seasons. It's the players' second home, he explained.

"I eat there, I shower there -- I haven't slept there, but I practically do," Recker said. 

Kaval also brought up the importance of making sure this future home of the A's was a place the organization could recruit good talent to.

He also gave an update saying on Tuesday there will be a vote from the county for approval for the A's to purchase the Coliseum site from them and there will be a vote in May from the board commission, as well.

[RELATED: Bob Melvin more certain the ever new stadium will be built]

It appears that everything is on track -- and if not, Kaval has certainly thought everything through. 

You can watch the interview in its entirety atop this page.