Giants

Barry Zito reveals why he rooted against Giants in 2010 World Series

Barry Zito reveals why he rooted against Giants in 2010 World Series

Imagine rooting against your employer after they paid you $18.5 million.

That's the story Barry Zito is telling.

According to The San Francisco Chronicle, Zito revealed in a new memoir that he rooted against the Giants in the 2010 World Series because they left him off the playoff roster.

“It was really hard to admit," Zito told The Chronicle's Ann Killion.

Zito was in his fourth season with the Giants, and things weren't going well. At that point, he had a 40-57 record and 4.45 ERA in 133 appearances for Bruce Bochy.

So despite his high salary, the Giants made the tough decision not to use Zito against the Braves, Phillies or Rangers.

For someone in the middle of a seven-year, $126 million contract, the snub stung, causing him to root for the Giants to lose the Fall Classic.

“I rooted against the team because my ego was in full control and if we lost then I could get out of there,” Zito said. “It would a) prove they couldn’t do it without me, and b) take me out of the situation because I was so miserable coming to the field every day. I was so deep in shame. I wanted out of that situation so bad.”

As you know by now, the Giants went on to beat the Rangers in five games to capture their first World Series since moving to San Francisco in 1958, and the franchise's first since 1954.

But this story had a happy ending. The Giants didn't get rid of Zito, and he played a big part in their march to the 2012 World Series title.

With the Giants down three-games-to-one to the Cardinals in the NLCS, Zito saved their season by tossing 7 2/3 shutout innings in St. Louis. San Francisco would go on to win the next two games at home and advance to face the Tigers in the World Series.

[RELATED: Zito reveals he almost retired before 2012]

Bochy gave the ball to Zito in Game 1 against Detroit and the lefty allowed just one earned run in 5 2/3 innings. San Francisco would win the first game and go on to sweep the Tigers.

In the end, Zito is in possession of two World Series rings. One he never wanted and another that the Giants wouldn't have gotten without him.

MLB rumors: Giants have checked in with Marcell Ozuna representatives

MLB rumors: Giants have checked in with Marcell Ozuna representatives

The Giants finally gave fans a reason to be excited about their outfielders last season after years of disappointment.

They found a diamond in the rough with Mike Yastrzemski, and Kevin Pillar is expected back next year after knocking 21 homers and bringing defensive highlights every night. And yet, the outfield still has question marks. 

It's unclear this early in free agency if new general manager Scott Harris will explore adding a veteran bat to the mix, however, the Giants reportedly have eyed one of the bigger names on the open market. 

MLB Network's Jon Morosi reported Wednesday night that the Giants "have at least checked in with the representatives" for free agent outfielder Marcell Ozuna. This isn't the first time the Giants have been tied to Ozuna this offseason, either. 

Earlier this month, MLB Trade Rumors predicted Ozuna to sign a three-year, $45 million contract. His age -- he turned 29 years old two days ago -- and power (29 homers in 2019) make plenty of sense for the Giants to explore. 

[RELATED: How Smith signing with Braves affects the Giants' bullpen]

Ozuna was handed a qualifying offer from the Cardinals going into this offseason, and declined it on Thursday. Any team that signs Ozuna would lose a draft pick next June, but not their first-round pick. However, the Giants will gain a draft pick from the Braves signing Will Smith, and the same goes for any team that signs Madison Bumgarner

Since 2014, Ozuna has averaged 24 homers per season. He easily would be the Giants biggest power threat right away, something San Francisco has lacked for years. 

MLB free agency: Madison Bumgarner turns down Giants' qualifying offer

MLB free agency: Madison Bumgarner turns down Giants' qualifying offer

SAN FRANCISCO -- As the trade deadline approached and the 2019 Giants started to get a little frisky on the field, there was some talk around the game that Madison Bumgarner would be better off getting traded regardless of what the team's record was, eliminating the chance that he would be saddled with a qualifying offer. 

Asked about that possibility, Bumgarner gave the kind of look you would expect to be reserved for Joe West. He was never concerned about a diminished market or sitting out half a season like Dallas Keuchel. Bumgarner has always believed the right options will be there in free agency, and now he'll get to test them out. 

Bumgarner officially declined the $17.8 million qualifying offer from the Giants on Thursday, joining eight of the 10 big leaguers who had a decision to make. The Twins' Jake Odorizzi and White Sox Jose Abreu decided to take the money upfront and try again in free agency next year. 

Bumgarner's agents have already spoken to interested teams, and they know what's out there. The left-hander does not plan to pull a Keuchel, and there's already reported interest from the likes of the Yankees, Padres and Phillies. The Braves, who signed Will Smith on Thursday, are also expected to make a run at Bumgarner, who is from nearby North Carolina. 

[RELATED: How Smith signing with Braves affects Giants' bullpen]

Then there are the Giants, who would recoup two top 100 draft picks if Bumgarner joins Will Smith in leaving the organization. Management has kept quiet about the offseason intentions, but there's a chance that Bumgarner circles back at some point over the next month to see if a deal can be struck. He has shown interest in coming back to San Francisco, but he's also eager to see what's out there in free agency.