Editor's note: Twice a week during this sports hiatus, we'll answer questions that Bay Area sports fans long have debated in "Ever Wonder?" This Thursday: Where did Joe DiMaggio's Bay Area roots stem from?
Joe DiMaggio is Major League Baseball royalty.
The 13-time All-Star centerfielder spent the entirety of his career as a member of the New York Yankees, but was a native of the Bay Area.
DiMaggio grew up in the San Francisco neighborhood of North Beach, where his father worked as a fisherman on the wharf. Despite his future success as a baseball player, his dad wanted his son to follow in his footsteps.
Safe we say, most of us are glad he didn’t.
Before he retired from the game in 1951, he would have a historic romance with actress and icon Marilyn Monroe.
[GIANTS INSIDER PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode]
The Martinez-born legend was also a nine-time World Series champion.
NBC Sports Bay Area’s Kelli Johnson has more on DiMaggio and his Bay Area roots in the video atop the page.
More from "Ever Wonder"
- Ever wonder where 'Mr. Irrelevant' came from? It has to do with 49ers
- Ever wonder who the 49ers took with their first-ever draft pick?
- Ever wonder how the "Black Hole" got started?
- Ever wonder how did Steph, Klay become 'Splash Brothers'?
- Ever wonder who is legendary 49ers fan "Banjo Man"?
- Ever wonder where the Sharks' giant head came from?
- Ever wonder why the A's use an elephant as their mascot?
- Ever wonder where Giants anthem creator Ashkon went?