Two days before players and coaches report to Oracle Park, the Giants announced that they have had their first player test positive for COVID-19.
Outfielder Hunter Bishop, one of the organization’s top prospects and a first-round pick a year ago, tested positive last week and was left off the initial roster released by the Giants on Monday. Bishop is doing well, but he has to quarantine before being eligible to be part of Summer Camp. Bishop initially had been set to join the Giants for this week's first workout.
"He notified us, we've done contact tracing, he was not in contact with any of our players and staff subsequent to when he believes he was infected," president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi said. "He had very mild symptoms and from the reports we're getting he's improving."
Bishop has spent most of the last three months in the Phoenix area, but Zaidi said he had not been working at at the team's facility
Bishop was supposed to join fellow top prospects Joey Bart, Marco Luciano and Heliot Ramos in the player pool, coming to Oracle Park this week before spending two months getting reps at the alternate training site in Sacramento. Bishop still is expected to be in consideration for a spot -- the Giants have nine remaining -- once he is cleared, but it may be a couple of weeks. There is no minimum time that he must be quarantined, but the MLB Operations Manual states that a player must test negative twice before being allowed to return.
Manager Gabe Kapler said he spoke with Bishop on Sunday to talk about the next steps.
"He's going to stay there for now and do nothing for the next 14 days," Kapler said. "He's in good spirits and has really mild symptoms, symptoms that are improving. He's in a good space."
Zaidi said the Giants only can inform the media of a player testing positive if the player gives consent. During the season there will be a special COVID-19 injured list for players who need to sit out because of positive tests or symptoms.
[GIANTS INSIDER PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode]