Giants

MLB rumors: Giants managerial candidate Raul Ibañez not ready for role

MLB rumors: Giants managerial candidate Raul Ibañez not ready for role

SAN FRANCISCO -- Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi has done a good job of keeping his managerial preferences from being known outside Oracle Park, but there was one name that came up often over the past seven months. That man apparently does not want to manage. 

The Los Angeles Times reported that Raul Ibañez will not pursue managerial vacancies this offseason. The Dodgers special assistant was said to be high on Zaidi's initial list when Bruce Bochy announced his retirement, sources have told NBC Sports Bay Area. 

Ibañez told the Times he would like to manage at some point but "it's not the right time for me." 

Ibañez spent 19 years in the big leagues and has been viewed within the industry as a future manager. Zaidi worked with him in Los Angeles, where Ibañez reports to president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman. 

[RELATED: Zaidi believes in prior experience for next Giants manager]

The Giants have just two known candidates thus far and both are internal choices. They already have interviewed coaches Hensley Meulens and Ron Wotus and Zaidi said last week that he expects to talk to six to eight external candidates. 

Giants, A's to play pair of exhibition games ahead of 2020 MLB season

Giants, A's to play pair of exhibition games ahead of 2020 MLB season

It turns out there will be a preview for the Bay Bridge Series in 2020.

The Giants and A's will play two exhibition games against each other next week, with each hosting one of the contests.

[RELATED: MLB opt-out tracker: Every player who has declined to play 2020 season]

Coronavirus forced a reduction of the 2020 regular season to just 60 games, but the rival squads still will play their normal six-game season series, with three games in San Francisco from August 14-16 and in Oakland September 18-20.

Although fans won't be in attendance for either the exhibition or regular-season contests between the Giants and A's in 2020, the crosstown rivalry likely will bring an added intensity to the matchups.

For many fans, it'll just be nice to have some live Bay Area baseball back on the airwaves.

[GIANTS INSIDER PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode]

MLB opt-out tracker: Every player who has declined to play 2020 season

MLB opt-out tracker: Every player who has declined to play 2020 season

It's extremely common to hear about a player opting out in baseball. Stars have often had opt-out clauses for the final year of their deals, and in recent years many have given themselves the ability to opt out after just a year or two of a massive contract. At the end of every spring, non-roster invitees opt out to look for a better opportunity elsewhere. 

But this season, those two words take on a different meaning. 

Under a March agreement reached by MLB and the Players Association, high-risk players can opt out of the 2020 because of coronavirus concerns and still get paid. Players who are not deemed to be at a high risk can also opt out while surrendering their 2020 salaries and service time.

On the first day of the week MLB was set to return, four players opted out. Here's a rundown of where the list currently stands as of July 10.

Mike Leake (Diamondbacks starting pitcher)

The 32-year-old was the first to publicly make his intentions known. Leake's agent told reporters that the right-hander "took countless factors into consideration, many of which are personal to him and his family." There has been some speculation that Leake had family concerns; his father was paralyzed in an accident a few years ago and that's in part why he ended up close to home with the Diamondbacks.

Ryan Zimmerman (Nationals first baseman)

Zimmerman is exactly the type of player you would think of when it comes to guys who had a difficult decision to make in recent weeks. He's 35 and now is a part-time player, and he's set for life financially and got his ring last October. In a statement put out by his agency, he made it clear this is about concerns for his family, which includes a mother with multiple sclerosis:

Joe Ross (Nationals starting pitcher)

Ross, a 27-year-old Bay Area native who is the younger brother of Tyson, also opted out June 29. He did not immediately release a statement. Nationals GM Mike Rizzo said Zimmerman and Ross decided "not to participate in the 2020 season for the personal health and safety of themselves and their loved ones. We are 100 percent supportive of their decision to not play this year."

Ian Desmond (Rockies outfielder)

The 34-year-old announced his decision at the end of a series of Instagram posts that examined injustices in baseball and society. It was a powerful statement, and one you should read in full here:

View this post on Instagram

On my mind.

A post shared by Ian Desmond (@i_dez20) on

Tyson Ross (free agent starting pitcher)

It was a bit of a surprise when Ross was released by the Giants last week. As a veteran who could start or come out of the bullpen, he seemed like a good fit for what they were building in March, and an even better fit in a season with no true five-man rotation. But this seems to explain the decision: 

David Price (Dodgers Pitcher)

Price announced his decision to opt out of the 2020 season on social media during the holiday weekend. The southpaw didn't get specific on the reasoning behind it, but said the decision was in the "best interest of my health and my family's health." 


Felix Hernandez (Braves pitcher)

Another former Cy Young award winner has decided not to play during the 2020 MLB season.

Felix Hernandez, who won the 2010 AL Cy Young while with the Seattle Mariners, won't suit up for the Atlanta Braves this season, he agent tweeted Saturday night.

After spending the first 15 seasons of his career with the Mariners, Hernandez signed a minor-league contract with Atlanta this offseason. He will turn 35 next April, when the 2021 MLB season is expected to start.

Nick Markakis (Braves outfielder)

Markakis on Monday morning decides to opt out of the 2020 season, the Atlanta Braves announced. 

This comes after Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman tested positive, which was a big factor in the veteran's decision. Markakis, 36, hit .285 with nine homers last season for Atlanta.

Hector Noesi (Pirates pitcher)

Noesi on Wednesday opted out of the 2020 season, Pittsburgh Pirates manager Derek Shelton announced.

Noesi, 33, went 0-3 and posted an 8.46 ERA across 12 appearances with the Miami Marlins last season.

Buster Posey (Giants catcher)

The Giants catcher became the biggest name to opt out of the MLB season to date, announcing Friday he won't play in 2020. Posey and his wife just adopted twin girls who were born prematurely last week, and he cited their health as his primary concern.

"After weighing it for a long time, talking to doctors, I just feel like in the current state that we are right now and these babies being as fragile as they are for the next four months, at minimum, this ultimately wasn't that difficult a decision for me," Posey said. From a baseball standpoint, it was a tough decision, from a family standpoint and feeling like I'm making a decision to protect our children, I feel like it was relatively easy."

Jordan Hicks (Cardinals Pitcher)

Jordan Hicks was originally planned to miss a chunk of time in the 2020 season as he recovered from Tommy John surgery that he underwent in June of 2019. But he's also a Type 1 Diabetic which as Belleville News-Democrat reporter Jeff Jones says, could lead to complications from coronavirus.