Giants

Pence not upset after second Giants tenure comes to end

Giants
USA Today

Hunter Pence is one of the happiest humans you will ever see.

The former Giants outfielder is full of energy and life, so of course, he wouldn't let Sunday's news that he had been designated for assignment get him down.

In an interview with The Athletic's Andrew Baggarly on Sunday, Pence addressed how he's dealing with the news.

"I’m absolutely overwhelmed with appreciation for the incredible ride and the incredible journey we shared together," Pence told Baggarly, "the support of this fan base, the fun of this city, the first class of this organization, all the staff, all the great, great teammates throughout the years, and also the counterbalances — the tough years along with the great years and all the lessons in between.

"That’s part of the beauty of it. That’s what makes the good times so good. There are difficulties and challenges as well, and they shape us and shape our soul. There’s great lessons in all of it. It’s just been an absolutely tremendous journey and I’m so appreciative of every bit of it and so thankful that I got to be a Giant for so long."

In 2018, when it looked like the end of the road for Pence's career, the Giants gave him a grand send off. Fans showered him with love after the final home game of the season.

But Pence wasn't ready to give up. He fixed his swing in the Dominican Republic and miraculously made the AL All-Star team with the Texas Rangers last season.

 

The Giants were hoping that success would carry over into this season. But it never did. And with the team finding itself in the race for a playoff spot in the National League, they couldn't afford to carry Pence's .096 batting average anymore.

"I can’t make any excuses," Pence told Baggarly. "I just didn’t get the job done and that’s the nature of this business. It was a crazy year but I can’t put my finger on it. I always look back on “control what you can control” and that’s the work and effort you put in, and also the character and who you are. You know, I gave it everything I had and it just didn’t seem meant to be this year."

RELATED: Kapler explains difficulty of telling Pence he had been DFA'd

Pence told Baggarly he's not sure what's next for him, and the 37-year-old wasn't sure if he'd be willing to go to the Giants' alternate site in Sacramento. He did say that he plans to stay ready.

The Giants icon was able to rediscover the magic last year, so it's not out of the question that he could go to Sacramento or go to another organization and do it again.

But whatever Pence does next, you know he's going to do it with a smile on his face.