Kings head coach Luke Walton gave an encouraging medical update on his team Thursday morning, just a day before his team is set to open their NBA restart schedule in the Orlando bubble.
“Harrison [Barnes] and Richaun [Holmes] will play,” Walton said. “They won’t have a minutes restriction, I’ll just keep a close eye on their wind and see how they look, but no medical restrictions on them.”
Barnes tested positive for the coronavirus during the Fourth of July weekend. He rejoined the team over the weekend and was able to participate in Monday’s scrimmage despite having just one day of practice under his belt.
[PURPLE TALK PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode]
Holmes was cleared to rejoin the team on July 22 after being quarantined for 10 days for violating bubble rules when he met a delivery driver to pick up some chicken wings. He was able to work out in his room, but the Kings have worked him back in slowly after a long stretch of limited activity.
“Alex most likely won’t play tomorrow, but he does continue to get better,” Walton said of his 7-foot rim protector.
Len originally tested positive for the coronavirus on June 21. At one point, he had 24 consecutive days of positive tests and he experienced symptoms in early July.
On July 16, Len was cleared to rejoin the team in Orlando, but his road back to full contact and basketball shape has been long.
At this point, Len is considered the third center on the roster behind Holmes and Harry Giles and if he breaks into the rotation, it would likely be for spot duty against a team with major size on their front line.
Marvin Bagley is the lone Kings player that has been ruled out completely for the restart. The second-year big sprained his right foot last week and left the NBA bubble.