Kings

Richaun Holmes 'definitely ready' to return, boost Kings on both ends

Richaun Holmes 'definitely ready' to return, boost Kings on both ends

Various Kings players have missed over 100 games with injuries this season, and there are still 28 games remaining.

Richaun Holmes is one of those players who is currently spending All-Star weekend in Chicago, his hometown and the center of the NBA world the next few days. 

During Friday's Habershow, Holmes updated his condition to NBC Sports' Tom Haberstroh.

“I feel pretty good, I feel pretty good,” Holmes said. “I’m definitely ready to get back out there. I haven’t missed this many games since I don’t know when. I want to play so bad, I want to play so bad. It looks fun out there”

Holmes has missed 17 straight contests with a torn labrum in his right shoulder. He attempted to return to the court last week but had a setback after one practice.

The big man underwent PRP treatment on his ailing shoulder earlier in the week and will be re-evaluated in two-to-three weeks. Surgery has not been ruled out, but Holmes continues to put in the work in hopes of avoiding it.

Since Holmes last played, the Kings are showing signs of life. They are 6-4 over their last 10 games heading into the break and point guard De'Aaron Fox is leading the way. 

“His pace is amazing, it’s like a match made in heaven,” Holmes said of Fox. “He’s able to throw the lob, he breaks down the defense so well, like getting to the teeth and they have to collapse on him and then I’m right there at the rim.”

The two haven’t had much time on the floor together. Holmes took over the starting center job from Dewayne Dedmon after four games, but five games later, Fox rolled his ankle in practice and missed a total of 18 games.

Holmes and Fox have only started 13 games together, but Fox’s speed and Homes’ ability to finish in the lane is an intriguing two-man game if both players are healthy at the same time. The 26-year-old looks like a perfect fit in the Kings' lineup, especially when surrounded by shooters like Bogdan Bogdanovic, Buddy Hield and Nemanja Bjelica. 

The Kings haven't used Holmes as a 3-point shooter at all this season, even though he shot 35.1 percent on a career-high 77 attempts in the 2016-17 season. 

“My role has changed,” Holmes said. “My ability to roll and space the floor, that’s something they wanted me to do. It’s something that was my niche in the NBA, and something that I can take hold to and make sure I can get on the floor. It’s something I kinda embraced.”

Holmes is shooting a career-best 66 percent from the field this season. He led the NBA in field-goal percentage earlier this season, and he still ranks third overall entering the break.

His path into the league wasn’t easy. The 2015 second-round pick has tirelessly worked to carve out an NBA role. Holmes plays to his strengths and gives maximum effort on both ends of the court.

All that hard work has given Holmes a unique perspective on the league. 

“I just think for me, it’s remembering the blessing of even being able to play in the NBA,” Holmes said. “There’s guys who would trade shoes with you whether you’re sitting on the bench not playing or you’re starting. I think just remembering the blessing in itself that you made it to the NBA and now you have to do what you can to stay in the NBA."

“If that means right now you’re not playing, you’ve got to cheer your guys on and make sure they’re ready in practice,” Holmes added. “Just never taking that for granted, never getting down on yourself, because you’re doing something that so many people want to do and something you dreamed of your whole life.”

[RELATED: Kings' Holmes recounts draft night, memorable call]

Holmes was having a breakout season before tearing his labrum. He's averaging a career-high 13.1 points, 8.5 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game in his fifth season.

There is a chance he returns to the court in a few weeks, which would be music to the Kings’ ears. They miss his tenacity on defense and how he keeps things simple on offense.

Kings' Marvin Bagley defends Harrison Barnes over NBA Finals criticism

Kings' Marvin Bagley defends Harrison Barnes over NBA Finals criticism

It wasn’t the greatest performance by any stretch of the imagination.

Harrison Barnes, then the starting small forward for the Warriors, put together a few disastrous outings in the 2016 NBA Finals against the Cleveland Cavaliers, particularly in Warriors’ losses in Games 5 and 7.

During the re-air of those games last week on ESPN, Barnes became a Twitter trend due to how many people were criticizing the forward’s performance.

One person who came to his defense was Kings teammate Marvin Bagley.

Barnes went 2-for-14 from the field and scored just five points in that Game 5, and he proceeded to score just 10 points on 3-of-10 shooting in Game 7.

Listen and subscribe to the Purple Talk Podcast:

Golden State replaced Barnes with Kevin Durant that offseason, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Barnes spent almost three seasons with the Dallas Mavericks after signing in free agency, before coming over to Sacramento in a midseason trade in 2019. The forward signed a lucrative four-year extension with the Kings in July, and was averaging 14.7 points and 4.8 rebounds prior to the NBA’s coronavirus suspension in March.

[RELATED: Ranking Kings' five best NBA draft lottery picks since 1990]

The criticism only added to what was a rough week for Barnes on social media. He also took a beating in the NBA 2K Players Tournament from Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young.

Sports week in coronavirus: Kings step up with facilities, donations

vivekap.jpg
AP

Sports week in coronavirus: Kings step up with facilities, donations

Editor's note: Each Monday during the coronavirus pandemic, Monte Poole will examine the virus within the scope of the sports world.

Though greater Sacramento was creeping toward 500 confirmed cases of the coronavirus as of Sunday afternoon -- a fraction of the total cases in the more heavily populated Bay Area -- the Kings literally are opening their doors to provide assistance.

The former Arco Arena, hard by I-5 and where the Kings played for 28 years, is being converted to a temporary remote hospital in which it is anticipated about 360 beds will be available to coronavirus and trauma care patients, perhaps early next week.

The Kings didn’t stop there. They then donated their former practice facility, adjacent to the arena in the Natomas area of northwest Sacramento, to be utilized as a surge field hospital.

For their next move, the Kings donated $250,000 to community groups that provide food and other essentials to those in the area that have been afflicted. They’ve also pledged to donate 100,000 masks to state and local agencies.

At the behest of Kings CEO Vivek Ranadive, the team’s COO, Matina Kolokotronis, offered the facilities to Gov. Gavin Newson, who accepted almost immediately.

It took a few weeks for the Kings' franchise to confront the crisis, but this is a massive and very welcome contribution.

Wealthy man donates paychecks

As a finely tuned athlete who has earned a quarter-billion dollars, owns an MVP award, two Cy Young awards and is married to one of the world’s most famous models, Justin Verlander already was the envy of millions of men around the world.

Now he’s climbing another rung of respect. The Astros pitcher has pledged to forward every paycheck he receives during MLB’s shutdown toward relief efforts. With all veteran players receiving $4,775 per day, for at least 60 days, the donation comes to almost $300,000.

The donations will go to a different organization each week in the hope of touching healthcare workers, first responders and those jobless as a result of the global pandemic.

Though Verlander is in the first season of a two-year, $66 million extension signed last year, those funds won’t start coming his way until the games begin.

Though the decision did not shield Verlander from the social-media venom directed at the Astros after their sign-stealing scandal was exposed, his cause is bigger than their snark. Besides, his wife, Kate Upton, is there to comfort him.

Sports Humanitarian of the Week: Kubrat Pulev

Unless you’re a native Bulgarian or a devoted fan of boxing, you might not be familiar with Kubrat Pulev. That’s OK. You don’t have to know him to thank him for donating about 25 percent of his estimated $8 million net worth.

There are plenty of worthy candidates for our weekly honor, but “a split-decision” goes to Pulev because his pledge is as unexpected as it is generous. He’s signed to challenge IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua, but the original date, June 20 in London, is postponed because of coronavirus.

Pulev, 38, announced over the weekend that he will donate “50 percent” of the money he earns from the fight, whenever it takes place. He is expected to earn roughly $5 million.

“I will give doctors, nurses and hospitals the necessary equipment to deal with this devilish virus,” he told German newspaper Bild.

On the scale of personal sacrifice, Pulev’s pledge blows away those of anyone else to go public.

Big man, bigger money, biggest donation

Steve Ballmer is the wealthiest team owner in American sports. He’s 16th on the global wealth list. So, it’s reasonable and fair that he would make the largest donation from the sports world.

The man who in 2014 bought the Clippers for $2 billion -- and recently purchased the Inglewood Forum property for $400 million cash -- is the first individual to offer an eight-figure donation: $25 million.

He won’t feel the slightest pinch from his donation, but it’s enough to buy a lot of masks, meals and ventilators.

Power brokers unite

Steph Curry and younger brother Seth are among more than 130 sports figures coming together to raise funds through donating various items to be raffled off under the banner “Athletes for Relief.”

The list of figures -- current athletes, retired athletes, coaches, TV personalities etc. -- is growing each day.

The running total stood at $154,000 late Sunday night, with the most valuable item being a football signed by former Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski that fetched $41,375.

Million-mask man

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft is wealthy enough to have a Boeing 767 jet at his disposal. In an effort to contribute to the cause, he decided to gas it up.

Kraft sent the team plane to China to pick up 1.2 million N95 masks and bring them to Boston to be distributed to health-care workers in Massachusetts and New York.

Kraft and his son, Jonathan, collaborated with Gov. Charlie Baker to cover the costs. They came to the rescue after Baker expressed his frustrations with the federal government essentially stepping in to reroute equipment initially earmarked for Massachusetts.

As happens so often, the Patriots found a way to win.

Among others standing tall

Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeff Lurie donated $1 million to Penn Medicine for Immunology Defense Fund.

International soccer star Neymar pledged a $1 million donation to fight coronavirus in his native Brazil.

Philadelphia 76ers forward Al Horford pledges $500,000 to cities he has represented from college to the NBA, including Atlanta, Boston and Gainesville, Fla.

Philadelphia Phillies outfielder Bryce Harper and his wife, Kayla, are pledging $500,000 to the relief effort.

Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart, having cleared coronavirus danger zone after testing positive, is donating blood in an effort to aid coronavirus research.

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay is donating 10,000 N95 masks to the Indiana Department of Health.

Portland Trail Blazers guard CJ McCollum pledges $170,000 to communities in Portland and Akron-Canton (his home region).

New York Yankees pitcher Gerrit Cole and his wife, Amy, (sister of Giants shortstop Brandon Crawford) are making an undisclosed but “significant” contribution.

Tested positive, in isolation

Former MLB star Jim Edmonds and tennis-player-turned-analyst Patrick McEnroe announced their status via social media.

Sad farewell

Former NFL kicker Tom Dempsey died due to the effects of coronavirus. Born without toes on his right foot, he lasted 11 years in the NFL and his 63-yard field goal -- off a special boot -- stood as a record for 43 years. He was 73.

Items compiled through reporting, research and collected from various sources.