Raiders first-round draft pick Gareon Conley met with Cleveland police as scheduled on Monday, regarding a sexual assault allegation made against him.
A source relayed the information to NBC Sports California later that afternoon.
Conley vehemently denied wrong doing, calling a rape accusation “completely false” in a statement released last week, and told Bay Area reporters he was confident the matter would be resolved.
Conley also submitted a DNA sample to Cleveland police on Monday.
The allegation stems from an April 9 incident at the Westin hotel in Cleveland, where a woman said someone she later identified as the Ohio State cornerback sexually assaulted her.
Conley has not been arrested or charged in relation to the incident.
Conley said he has witnesses and video evidence that help clear him of wrongdoing.
Conley’s attorney Kevin Spellacy told NFL Network that Conley’s legal issues won’t be resolved for 6-8 weeks, and will be reviewed by a Cuyahoga County prosecutor.
Spellacy also told NFL Network that Conley and the woman accusing him of misconduct had a consensual sexual encounter, but that her version of events is not accurate. Spellacy clarified his statement to NFLN later in the evening, stating that Conley and the woman did not have sexual intercourse. He also stated the Conley has said nothing inconsistent in describing the events of April 9.
Lawyer Kevin Spellacy told me it’ll be 6-8 weeks before Gareon Conley’s legal situation is resolved. It’ll be reviewed by county prosecutor.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 1, 2017
#Raiders CB Gareon Conley’s lawyer tells me Conley & his accuser had a “consensual” sexual event that night. “Her version is not accurate”— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 1, 2017
Text from Gareon Conley's lawyer: "When I referenced a 'consensual sexual event,' I was NOT referring to intercourse. That did NOT happen."— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 2, 2017
The accuser’s attorney, Patrick Thomas, told the Cleveland Plain Dealer last week that his client is cooperating with a police investigation and is hoping for criminal charges to be filed.
The Raiders investigated the matter thoroughly, and were confident enough that Conley will be cleared to select him in the first round.