Raiders

Raiders

Raiders owner Mark Davis issued his first public comments since the city of Oakland announced it was suing the Raiders and the NFL in federal court, and they weren't inspiring for fans hoping the team plays one more year at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum. 

ESPN's Paul Gutierrez asked Davis late Tuesday night whether or not Oakland's lawsuit would push the Raiders out of the East Bay. Davis was non-commital. 

"I have no comment on that at this time," Davis told ESPN. 

Davis previously told ESPN that he "personally" wanted the Raiders to play in Oakland in 2019 because he "can't turn on the fans." However, there was a catch.

"But if in fact it does get ugly [with Oakland], and can't be bridged, we do have options," Davis told ESPN last month. 

It may be headed in that direction. In a press release announcing it had filed a federal antitrust and breach of contract lawsuit against the Raiders and the NFL, Oakland city attorney Barbara J. Parker did not mince words.

"The defendants brazenly violated federal antitrust law and the league's own policies when they boycotted Oakland as a host city. The Raiders’ illegal move lines the pockets of NFL owners and sticks Oakland, its residents, taxpayers and dedicated fans with the bill."

 

In the suit, the city claimed it "invested and borrowed significant sums of money, totaling over $240 million," all while expecting the Raiders would continue to play at the Coliseum. Davis told Gutierrez he thought the suit was "meritless and malicious."

The Raiders' 2018 home finale takes place on Christmas Eve. Will that Monday night game against the Denver Broncos be the Silver and Black's last at the Coliseum? We may get that answer sooner rather than later.