SAN JOSE – The Anaheim Ducks entered Saturday’s game in San Jose having been shut out five times. No other NHL club had been blanked more than twice.

They turned the tables against the Sharks as Anton Khudobin recorded the Ducks’ first shutout of the season, turning away all 31 shots he saw in a 1-0 win.

Corey Perry’s breakaway goal in the first period was the only marker. It started with the puck on Ryan Getzlaf’s stick, and the Anaheim captain waited until the perfect moment to give a tape-to-tape pass to his teammate, who had gotten behind Marc-Edouard Vlasic and Tomas Hertl. Perry buzzed in just his second goal at 4:56 of the opening frame.

The Sharks went on two late power plays in the third period in search of the equalizing goal. Andrew Cogliano tripped Joe Thornton at 15:15, and later Cam Fowler received a delay of game at 17:36. San Jose couldn’t capitalize, though, finishing 0-for-4 on the night. The Sharks are still without a power play goal in seven home games (0-for-19).

Khudobin swallowed up Joe Pavelski’s redirection from the slot with 23.8 seconds left to preserve the Anaheim win.

Despite controlling most of the play after the first half of the opening frame, including out-shooting the Ducks 20-6 over the final two periods, the Sharks (7-7-0) again failed to win consecutive games. Since starting the season with four straight wins, they are just 3-7-0 since.

Anaheim (5-7-2) is trending the other way, as the Ducks won their fourth in a row to draw to within two points of the Sharks.

The Ducks had a pair of great chances to increase their first period lead as the Sharks were positively brain dead for the start. Martin Jones robbed Ryan Kesler on a rebound seven minutes in the period, and later he stretched out with his right pad to deny Chris Stewart with 6:09 to go in the period.

San Jose woke up after an avoidable interference penalty on Jakob Silfverberg at 15:13 of the first. Although each unit had some good looks, the Sharks were unable to tie it up against the NHL’s top-ranked penalty kill.

The closest the Sharks came to tying the game came in the second period. Ducks defenseman Hampus Lindholm lost his footing in the Anaheim offensive zone, and Tommy Wingels took control of the puck and charged ahead. His slap shot whizzed past Khudobin and the referee signaled it as a goal, but a video review showed the puck clang off of the post at 7:28.

Khudobin made his biggest save midway through the third, stopping Patrick Marleau on a breakaway after a nice lead pass from Micheal Haley.

The game took a nasty turn at 16:38 of the second period. Chris Wagner hammered Matt Nieto along the boards, sparking a pair of fights between Haley and Clayton Stoner, and Brenden Dillon dropped them with Wagner. Dillon and Wager received game misconducts to go along with their fighting majors.

The Ducks snapped an eight-game losing streak in San Jose (1-6-2), in what was their second and final visit. The Sharks are at Honda Center on Dec. 4 and Feb. 2.

Special teams

While the Sharks failed to score on their four power plays, Anaheim was 0-for-2. The Sharks had given up a power play goal against in nine of their previous 10 games.

In goal

Jones was playing for the first time since getting pulled on Tuesday against Columbus, when he allowed four goals through two periods. He fell to 2-5-0 in his last seven despite stopping 16 of 17 shots.

Khudobin gave regular Ducks starter Frederik Andersen the night off, after the latter played on Friday night.


Mike Brown returned on the fourth line after missing Thursday’s game with an eye injury. Bryan Lerg was scratched.

Defenseman Mark Cundari was recalled from the Barracuda in the morning, but did not play.

Up next

The Sharks conclude their homestand on Tuesday against the Islanders. In the first meeting in Brooklyn on Oct. 17, San Jose suffered its first loss of the season to New York, 6-3.

A six-game road trip begins on Friday, Nov. 13 in Detroit.