No Sharks players have shown any symptoms of the coronavirus and none have been tested as a result, San Jose general manager Doug Wilson told Bay Area News Group's Curtis Pashelka on Saturday.
Wilson issued his statement hours after the Ottawa Senators announced a second player tested positive for COVID-19. That player, according to the Senators, traveled on the team's road trip through California that included a game at SAP Center in San Jose on March 7. The Senators also played the Anaheim Ducks on March 10 at Honda Center and the Los Angeles Kings at Staples Center on March 11.
Ottawa aid 52 people traveled on the trip to California, and eight have been tested so far. The team is awaiting results from tests conducted Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, they said in a statement.
The Senators confirmed Tuesday that one player had tested positive for the coronavirus, marking the league's first confirmed case. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said coronavirus symptoms can manifest anywhere between two days and two weeks after exposure, and the Senators said every person who traveled to California has been self-quarantining since March 13.
California currently has the third-most confirmed cases in the United States (1,266), according to the CDC, state officials and NBC News reporting. The Sharks announced on March 12 that a part-time SAP Center employee tested positive for the coronavirus. The employee worked a March 3 game, two days before the Santa Clara County public health department recommended postponing mass gatherings.
The Sharks played the Minnesota Wild on March 5, the Senators on March 7 and the Colorado Avalanche on March 8. Santa Clara County officially barred gatherings of 1,000-plus people on March 9, and the team said they were prepared for their remaining March home games to be played in an empty SAP Center. The NHL officially suspended its season on March 12, a day after the NBA did the same when Utah Jazz big man Rudy Gobert tested positive for the coronavirus.
The league ordered its players to self-quarantine through March 27. California Governor Gavin Newsom ordered all 40 million of its citizens to indefinitely shelter in place Thursday, days after multiple counties in the Bay Area had issued similar orders.