Mark Davis

Antonio Brown videographer disputes timeline of star's Raiders release

Antonio Brown videographer disputes timeline of star's Raiders release

Antonio Brown's Friday-night YouTube video featuring a phone call with Jon Gruden was supposed to be about the Raiders' season opener. 

Alejandro Narciso, a Miami-based filmmaker, shot, produced and edited the video. He told ESPN's "The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz" on Monday that he met up with Brown in Oakland last Tuesday to shoot a hype video ahead of the Raiders kicking off the 2019 season against the Denver Broncos at the Oakland Coliseum.

It's safe to say things took a turn last Wednesday. 

"[At first] everything's good, and then goes to practice and then, you know, everything's bad," Narciso told Le Batard and Stugotz. "At that point, I'm confused and I'm like, 'What did I get myself in to?'"

Wednesday, of course, is when tension between Brown and the Raiders -- now his former team after he was released Saturday and subsequently signed by the Patriots -- began to escalate. Brown was none too pleased about the Raiders fining him for missing a practice and a walk-through, sharing his displeasure in an Instagram story and reportedly confronting general manager Mike Mayock at practice that day. 

NFL Media's Ian Rapoport reported Thursday that Brown threatened to punch Mayock in the face and telling the first-year GM to "fine him" for punting a football. ESPN's Josina Anderson reported, citing a Raiders source, that Brown called Mayock a "cracker" before profusely swearing at him.

Brown told ESPN's Dianna Russini last week that he didn't use the word, and Narciso said the same Monday, claiming that the confrontation wasn't as tense as reported. 

"Everyone just walked off, and then he went into meetings," Narciso claimed. "Nothing crazy happened."

Narciso said Brown went to the Raiders facility for an MRI, and the team told him not to come to practice that day. Brown eventually met with Gruden for dinner, telling Narciso afterward that everything was good between him and the Raiders. But when Narciso told Brown on Friday morning that a hype video was ready featuring the footage they shot, the four-time All-Pro receiver said to wait on posting the video. 

When Narciso met with Brown after practice Friday, he said Brown's tone had changed. 

"And then we pick him up, and he's like, 'Yeah, everything's not good.'" Narciso recalled to Le Batard and Stugotz. "'These guys don't seem to have my back. They kept saying welcome back even though I never left.'"

When the Raiders fined Brown again Friday night and voided the $29.125 million in guarantees in his contract, Narciso said the Silver and Black's relationship with the receiver became "irreparable." 

Brown then posted the video in this context, but not before telling Narciso to edit it because it was "too positive" and reaching out to Gruden to ask for permission to use audio from a Friday night phone call. At some point before the video dropped, Narciso said Brown called Raiders owner Al Davis to formally ask for his release. 

"He called the owner, it was a nice conversation," Narciso said of Brown. "He said, 'Look man, I just don't think this is gonna work out for either of us. I don't feel the love from you guys the way that you think you say you do, and I would appreciate it if you released me.' And the owner was like, 'OK, you know, I'm gonna do everything in my power. I'm sorry this didn't work out.' And then at that point, AB was like, 'It's go time.'"

[RELATED: Five questions Raiders still must answer entering Week 1]

The video posted Friday, and Brown asked the Raiders to release him the next morning in an Instagram post. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Sunday that Brown worked with "social-media consultants" to "accelerate his release from the Raiders." 

If Brown has any consultants, Narciso joked that he is not one of them.

"I was like, 'Social-media experts? I'm literally, like, a 25-year-old nothing," Narciso quipped. "No, AB posts what he wants. I'm not his consultant. I'm not like, 'AB, I got this guy off this team. You wanna hire me so I can get you off this team?' No!"

Mark Davis told Jack Del Rio he wanted Jon Gruden 'every chance he got'

markdavisjackdelrioap.jpg
AP

Mark Davis told Jack Del Rio he wanted Jon Gruden 'every chance he got'

Like it or not, but Jack Del Rio was just a placeholder until Raiders owner Mark Davis got the guy he wanted.

It took a few years and many tries, but Davis finally got Jon Gruden to leave the TV booth following the 2017 season.

Davis fired Del Rio after the Raiders finished 6-10 in his third season, despite rewarding the coach with a new four-year contract the year prior.

In an interview with Sports Illustrated, Del Rio spoke about how often he heard from Davis regarding the pursuit of Gruden.

Spoiler alert: Del Rio heard about it A LOT.

“He was always very straightforward with the fact that he was in love with Jon, and if he had the chance, he was going to hire him,” Del Rio told SI's Jenny Vrentas and Greg Bishop. “He said it every chance he got.”

Del Rio led the Raiders to a 25-23 record over three seasons, but hasn't coached since Davis fired him.

When Davis got Gruden to agree to re-take the Raiders job, he gave the coach a 10-year contract worth $100 million.

[RELATED: Brown decision leaves Raiders with more questions]

Davis got what he wanted with Gruden's return, but it came at the expense of Del Rio -- someone who grew up a Raiders fan in the East Bay. 

It was a brutal way for Del Rio's tenure to end, and we're sure it still stings to this day.

Dave Kaval responds to Mark Davis' A's remarks, feels for Raiders fans

davekavalmarkdavisusatsi.jpg
USATSI

Dave Kaval responds to Mark Davis' A's remarks, feels for Raiders fans

Unlike Raiders owner Mark Davis, A's president Dave Kaval isn't one to take a blow torch to his stadium co-tenant.

Ten days after Davis blasted the A's front office before his Raiders move from Oakland to Las Vegas, Kaval was given the chance to respond.

“I just feel really bad for the Raiders fans," Kaval told The Athletic's Steve Berman on Saturday. "It’s been a really challenging situation with them. I grew up in Cleveland. I saw the Browns leave. I was a season-ticket holder. My family went to the Dawg Pound growing up. So I know first-hand the kind of pain that can come with a team relocating and [the Raiders] have relocated twice. So it’s just kind of a difficult situation for their fans.

"I’m hopeful that they can kind of manage their way through that. And I think from our perspective we just want to make sure we provide the best fan experience for A’s fans and Oakland residents here at the Coliseum.”

In an Aug. 8 interview with The Athletic, Davis labeled Kaval and the A's front office as "real pricks," among other things.

One day later, Davis apologized, but the damage already had been done.

While talking with Berman, Kaval never said Davis' name, but he defended the changes the A's have made to the Coliseum since the Raiders decided to leave for Vegas for the 2020 NFL season.

“Being the last team left in Oakland, we feel a great sense of responsibility to represent our community," Kaval said. "To make sure that we invest, both on the field and also off the field with all efforts to build a world-class stadium at the waterfront so we can be here 50, 100, 200 years, in perpetuity.”

[RELATED: Bassitt saves tired A's bullpen]

Kaval took the high road, sort of, but we still don't expect him to share a suite with Davis at either of their new stadiums.

Back to your corners, fellas.