MLB Trade Rumors

Ex-A's slugger Yoenis Cespedes' injury reportedly caused by boar fight

cespedesusatsi.jpg
USATSI

Ex-A's slugger Yoenis Cespedes' injury reportedly caused by boar fight

In May, former A's slugger Yoenis Cespedes, now with the Mets, fractured his right ankle at his ranch in Port St. Lucie, Fla. 

In what New York Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen originally described as a "violent fall" ultimately turned out to be a minor accident in which Cespedes reportedly fell into a hole. It was recently reported that this had to do with an encounter with a wild boar.

Yep -- you read that correctly. A wild boar.

The New York Post reported all involved parties agreed on the event.

"Cespedes has traps on his ranch for a variety of reasons, including to keep boars away from people," The Post reported. "But one boar was removed from a trap -- perhaps by Cespedes -- and either charged toward Cespedes or startled him, causing Cespedes to step into a hole."

After the injury occurred, the outfielder gave notice to the Mets, mentioning he was "trying to sidestep a boar." Officials and representatives from the organization went to the ranch the following day with the notion that was indeed what had occurred.

The injury caused a snowball effect of sorts and left Cespedes off the active roster for the 2019 season.

[RELATED: Five A's predictions for upcoming 2020 season]

He would not take a single at-bat.

The Cuban slugger spent three seasons with the A's where he earned an All-Star selection in 2014. During his time with Oakland, he slashed.262/.318/.470 with 66 home runs and 229 RBI.

MLB rumors: Marcus Semien interested in contract extension with A's

semienusatsi.jpg
USATSI

MLB rumors: Marcus Semien interested in contract extension with A's

A's shortstop Marcus Semien had an impressive 2019 season despite not receiving any honors. As his free agency looms, both player and team appear to be interested in discussing an extension.

MLB Network's Jon Heyman reported the 2019 AL MVP hopeful "has told the A's he's interested" in an extension:

Heyman also said the A's would love to hold on to the Bay Area native and it's easy to see why.

Last season, the 29-year-old slashed .285/.369/.522 with 33 home runs and 92 RBI. He also started each of the 162 games and led the league in plate appearances. His plate disciple and defense improved as well.

In 2020, Semien will be in his final season of team control through arbitration. According to MLB Trade Rumors, he's projected to make $13.5 million.

But ...

Both parties being interested in one another doesn't mean much, especially when Semien has plenty of leverage coming off the season he just had with free agency approaching. He also just switched agencies. 

[RELATED: Gammons suggest Semien could be traded in near future]

Semien will turn 30 next September, which could worry some teams. However, he doesn't appear to be the type to wear down after blowing out 30 candles on his birthday cake. 

It's difficult to picture him signing a six or seven-year deal, especially as someone who doesn't have an expanded resume of accomplishments. He deserved more honors.

The A's could reach deeper into their pockets, but that's not a characteristic they're known for.

Why Mark Melancon agreed to be dealt to Braves at MLB trade deadline

Why Mark Melancon agreed to be dealt to Braves at MLB trade deadline

PHILADELPHIA -- For weeks, the speculation had been that Madison Bumgarner might be asked to waive his no-trade clause before Wednesday's MLB trade deadline. Instead it was another Giants pitcher faced with a choice that had to be made quickly.

About two hours before the 4 p.m. deadline, Mark Melancon was called and asked if he would waive his full no-trade to join the Atlanta Braves. Melancon quickly called his wife. 

"She runs the show here," Melancon said, smiling, "But after we talked we realized it's Atlanta and a really good situation over there."

The right-hander joins a team that is running away with the NL East and has championship aspirations. The Braves added multiple pieces to their bullpen and obviously felt Melancon, a former All-Star closer, can be an important part moving forward. They felt strongly enough that they took on the remaining $18 million of Melancon's four-year contract, one of the day's biggest stunners. Melancon has one year remaining after this one. 

For the Giants, the move cleared payroll and a roster spot. They would like a more flexible bullpen, and Melancon -- like Drew Pomeranz and Sam Dyson -- could not be optioned to the minors. The Giants did lose a contributor, though. Melancon had a 3.50 ERA in 43 appearances and was throwing very well in July, with his curveball becoming a dominant pitch again. 

The final stretch was the best part of Melancon's two-plus years in San Francisco. After the 2016 NLDS collapse, the Giants signed him to a then-record deal, one that was part of Bobby Evans' downfall. A pronator injury limited Melancon in 2017 and 2018 and he ended up saving just 15 games for the Giants. 

As he walked out the door Wednesday, Melancon admitted the time here was "disappointing, really." He hoped to pitch better. He hoped to be part of what the Giants are doing this year, but ultimately the front office asked him to go elsewhere. 

[RELATED: Where Mauricio Dubon, Tristan Beck rank on Giants top prospects list]

"Physically with my arm, I went through some things that were unexpected," he said. "But I'd like to think I gave it all I could and produced as much as I could. It would have been really neat to stick it out and see where this team goes."

"I would have enjoyed that ride just as much, but this is a new opportunity for me."