Warriors

Warriors big man Omari Spellman has lost 40 pounds since summer league

Warriors big man Omari Spellman has lost 40 pounds since summer league

The Warriors' roster lists center/forward Omari Spellman at 245 pounds. That's a lie. 

Spellman, just 22 years old, has dealt with weight issues since being selected with the No. 30 overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft. On Monday at Warriors Media Day, Spellman opened up about his current physical fitness. 

"In summer league, I'm pretty sure you guys saw I was pretty heavy," Spellman said to reporters. "In summer league, I was about 315. This morning before breakfast I was 275. Still, I want to get down to about 265. That's my comfortable playing weight for myself. That's where I'm at with it right now." 

The Warriors acquired Spellman from the Hawks this offseason in a trade where Golden State sent center Damian Jones to Atlanta. Spellman poured praise on the Dubs' training staff to get him on track for the kind of shape he hopes to be in during his second season in the NBA. 

"A lot of help. A lot of help from the Golden State Warriors staff just helping me be consistent and that was something I wanted to stress," Spellman said. "I never verbalized it to them, they just kinda did it organically. I'm extremely grateful for them in helping me along this process." 

The Warriors have had their eyes on Spellman for quite some time now. They nearly drafted him last year before deciding to select Jacob Evans III two picks before Spellman came off the board. 

Now that Spellman is a Warrior, coach Steve Kerr is excited to take advantage of the big man's skills. 

“Spellman’s got a chance to play a role for us,” Kerr recently said to The Athletic's Anthony Slater. “Talented kid. It’ll be really nice to be able to space the floor with a big. We probably haven’t had that since Mo Speights.”

[RELATED: Warriors center Cauley-Stein out for camp with foot strain]

As a rookie, Spellman nailed 44 3-pointers in 46 games played with the Hawks. He also shot 43.3 percent from long distance as a freshman at Villanova. 

With a better physique and the Warriors being thin on the block, Spellman quickly could find playing time in the Bay. 

Who Warriors fans think Steph Curry should team up with in 'The Match'

Who Warriors fans think Steph Curry should team up with in 'The Match'

Sunday’s “The Match” featuring Bay Area native Tom Brady, former NFL MVP Peyton Manning and PGA stars Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson seemed to be a smashing success for the sport of golf. Not only was $20 million raised for coronavirus relief in the United States, but sports fans were glued to their televisions to watch golf, something the sport forever has struggled with.

Warriors star Steph Curry tweeted during the event that he wanted to participate in the next iteration of the “The Match.” So we asked, who would Warriors fans like to see Steph team up with the next time this event is organized and got some interesting responses.

[RUNNIN' PLAYS PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode]

John Daly no doubt would be an interesting partner for Curry, but the two aren’t likely to be a match made in heaven. Daly’s partying and off-the-course exploits were infamous during his days on the tour, something Curry never has gotten wrapped up in.

Another commenter mentioned Jordan Spieth, who is a fellow Under Armour athlete with Curry. These two likely have played together numerous times over the years, and Spieth has been known to provide a good sound byte.

[RELATED: Ranking 10 best duos in NBA history, including two Warriors pairs]

Another name to consider would be Justin Thomas, the No. 4 player in the world. Thomas joined the TNT telecast for Sunday’s event and was a great on-course reporter, including this somewhat-NSFW dig at Charles Barkley.

Thomas and Curry together would provide some incredible laughs.

Whoever it is, having Steph mic’d up for an entire 18 holes should make for some magnificent content.

Ex-Warrior Andrew Bogut not retiring yet but won't re-sign with Sydney

Ex-Warrior Andrew Bogut not retiring yet but won't re-sign with Sydney

Back in mid-April, former Warriors center Andrew Bogut said he would make a decision on his basketball future in May.

With a handful of days left in May, Bogut has made a decision.

Sort of.

The 35-year-old Australian tweeted a statement Sunday and said he won't re-sign with the Sydney Kings of the National Basketball League right now, or any other professional basketball team for that matter.

Bogut made it clear that it wasn't a "retirement note." He said due to the uncertainty surrounding sports because of the global coronavirus pandemic, it was too difficult to make a decision right now.

He also did mention that he hopes to be back on a basketball in the "near future."

[RUNNIN' PLAYS PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode]

Bogut last appeared on an NBA court in Game 6 of the 2019 NBA Finals when the Warriors lost to the Toronto Raptors at Oracle Arena.

Since then, he had been play with Sydney before the pandemic forced all sports leagues to pause their seasons. Bogut was averaging 8.2 points and 8.8 rebounds in 21.5 minutes over 25 games for Sydney.

For now, Bogut will let his body rest and spend time with his family.

[RELATED: Bogut likes two NBA draft prospects]

If the former No. 1 overall pick decides later not to play another professional basketball game, he leaves the sport with a decorated NBA career: Champion, an All-NBA Third Team selection, and an All-Defensive Second Team selection.