Warriors

Warriors GM Bob Myers explains decision to let Patrick McCaw join Cavs

mccawconfusedus.jpg
USATSI

Warriors GM Bob Myers explains decision to let Patrick McCaw join Cavs

The Warriors' decision to not match the offer sheet the Cleveland Cavaliers presented Patrick McCaw last week was based on several factors, including cost.

The Cavs offered McCaw a two-year deal at a reported $6 million. The Warriors deliberated during the 48-hour window to match and decided to pass “for a combination of reasons,” according to general manager Bob Myers.

“We can’t ignore where we are financially,” Myers said Monday. “Fortunately working with (CEO Joe Lacob) and our ownership group, they’ve never been monetarily driven in a direction. It’s always been about winning and staying as competitive as we can.

“But at the same time, understanding we would like to add another piece at some point at the big spot, it would have meant then probably having to release someone to clear another spot to add another big.”

If the Warriors had matched the offer sheet, they would have paid $3 million in salary, along with about $11.25 million in luxury taxes, to keep McCaw. Already facing a $50 million tax bill, it would have soared just past $61 million if they had matched.

It was concluded that such a large payout wasn't feasible for a reserve wing, especially when the team is comfortable with forward Alfonzo McKinnie's work and scanning the market to fill its need for a reserve big man.

“If it had made sense, and everything else lined up, and it was the right thing to do, we would have done it,” Myers said. “I don’t think the financial part was the only reason, but it was a reason we had to look at and be cognizant of and aware of. That, combined with everything else, made for our decision to not match.”

[RELATED: McCaw reveals why he wanted to leave Warriors, join Cavs]

Though there were questions about whether McCaw’s holdout would have compromised his acceptance in the Warriors' locker room, Myers felt that wouldn’t be an issue.

“I don’t think that was a huge part of it,” he said. “We would have welcomed him back, our team would have, our coach would have and we would have, had it worked out.

“I didn’t get a sense throughout the process that he was defiant and clearly wouldn’t want to be back with us. I never got a strong belief that that was the case.”

Who Warriors fans think Steph Curry should team up with in 'The Match'

Who Warriors fans think Steph Curry should team up with in 'The Match'

Sunday’s “The Match” featuring Bay Area native Tom Brady, former NFL MVP Peyton Manning and PGA stars Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson seemed to be a smashing success for the sport of golf. Not only was $20 million raised for coronavirus relief in the United States, but sports fans were glued to their televisions to watch golf, something the sport forever has struggled with.

Warriors star Steph Curry tweeted during the event that he wanted to participate in the next iteration of the “The Match.” So we asked, who would Warriors fans like to see Steph team up with the next time this event is organized and got some interesting responses.

[RUNNIN' PLAYS PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode]

John Daly no doubt would be an interesting partner for Curry, but the two aren’t likely to be a match made in heaven. Daly’s partying and off-the-course exploits were infamous during his days on the tour, something Curry never has gotten wrapped up in.

Another commenter mentioned Jordan Spieth, who is a fellow Under Armour athlete with Curry. These two likely have played together numerous times over the years, and Spieth has been known to provide a good sound byte.

[RELATED: Ranking 10 best duos in NBA history, including two Warriors pairs]

Another name to consider would be Justin Thomas, the No. 4 player in the world. Thomas joined the TNT telecast for Sunday’s event and was a great on-course reporter, including this somewhat-NSFW dig at Charles Barkley.

Thomas and Curry together would provide some incredible laughs.

Whoever it is, having Steph mic’d up for an entire 18 holes should make for some magnificent content.

Ex-Warrior Andrew Bogut not retiring yet but won't re-sign with Sydney

Ex-Warrior Andrew Bogut not retiring yet but won't re-sign with Sydney

Back in mid-April, former Warriors center Andrew Bogut said he would make a decision on his basketball future in May.

With a handful of days left in May, Bogut has made a decision.

Sort of.

The 35-year-old Australian tweeted a statement Sunday and said he won't re-sign with the Sydney Kings of the National Basketball League right now, or any other professional basketball team for that matter.

Bogut made it clear that it wasn't a "retirement note." He said due to the uncertainty surrounding sports because of the global coronavirus pandemic, it was too difficult to make a decision right now.

He also did mention that he hopes to be back on a basketball in the "near future."

[RUNNIN' PLAYS PODCAST: Listen to the latest episode]

Bogut last appeared on an NBA court in Game 6 of the 2019 NBA Finals when the Warriors lost to the Toronto Raptors at Oracle Arena.

Since then, he had been play with Sydney before the pandemic forced all sports leagues to pause their seasons. Bogut was averaging 8.2 points and 8.8 rebounds in 21.5 minutes over 25 games for Sydney.

For now, Bogut will let his body rest and spend time with his family.

[RELATED: Bogut likes two NBA draft prospects]

If the former No. 1 overall pick decides later not to play another professional basketball game, he leaves the sport with a decorated NBA career: Champion, an All-NBA Third Team selection, and an All-Defensive Second Team selection.