Red Sox

After bloodied nose, Dustin Pedroia expected in Red Sox lineup Wednesday

red-sox-pedroia-042317x.jpg

After bloodied nose, Dustin Pedroia expected in Red Sox lineup Wednesday

BALTIMORE — Dustin Pedroia is expected to return to the Red Sox lineup on Wednesday, manager John Farrell said. Not a bad turnaround time for someone who, on Monday, was holding his jersey to his face as he was bleeding.

Pedroia hit a foul ball that bounced off the plate and into his nose on Monday night. He did not go for further testing on Tuesday, which was a positive sign. A CAT scan would have been needed to see the full extent of the damage.

“He’s sore,” Farrell said. “I would think in an emergency only would we even consider putting him in a game [Tuesday]. But felt like after talking with him here and after he got checked out, felt like it was best to just hold him out a day. I would expect him to be back in the lineup tomorrow, but there was no further imaging here today. Didn’t feel like the follow-up with the medical staff warranted it. But he is sore, there’s no question.”

Farrell said the subject of Pedroia employing some sort of protective piece attached to his helmet or other type of guard going forward had not been broached. But, Farrell acknowledged that using such a thing likely wouldn’t be Pedroia’s style.

Other injury news: 

• Eduardo Nunez was slated to run the bases on Wednesday, but the way Farrell was talking on Tuesday, that may not happen.

• Hanley Ramirez pinch-hit on Monday but remained out of the lineup Tuesday because of right biceps inflammation. 

• Carson Smith is in consideration for the postseason roster, Farrell said.

• David Price declared himself available Monday, Farrell said, and Farrell left open the possibility he could pitch even Tuesday. But Farrell's preference was to give Price more rest after his two innings Sunday. 

J.D. Martinez open to restructuring contract with Red Sox

J.D. Martinez open to restructuring contract with Red Sox

J.D. Martinez seems to like life as a member of the Red Sox.

After wrapping up an incredible first half to his inagural season in Boston, hitting .328 with 29 home runs and 82 RBI's, Martinez said he is open to restructuring his contract he signed in February. 

Martinez signed a five-year $110 million deal with Boston this past winter, including player opt-outs after the second and third years of the contract. 

Eliminating the opt-outs would secure the slugger for the entirety of his contract, something the Red Sox might want to consider given his production so far. 

Conversations on that front won't happen until after the season, so the league-best Red Sox can focus on winning another World Series with one of the hottest bats in baseball in their lineup. 

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

Mooke Betts to hit lead off for AL All Stars, JD Martinez batting fourth

Mooke Betts to hit lead off for AL All Stars, JD Martinez batting fourth

Chris Sale was announced to be the starting pitcher for the American League All Stars Monday, making it three straight years (two with Boston) he will start the All Star Game. 

The starting lineups and battting orders were also announced for the game. Red Sox MVP candidates Mookie Betts and JD Martinez were placed in premier spots in the AL lineup. 

Betts leads the majors in hitting with a .359 batting average, and it tied for eighth in home runs with 23. 

Martinez is third in in batting average, hitting .328 while leading the league in home runs (29) and RBI's (82). 

Mitch Moreland and Craig Kimbrel join Betts, Martinez and Sale on the AL All Star team as reserves appropriately giving the Red Sox five representatives to this year's Mid-Summer Classic. 

The MLB All Star Game is scheduled for July 17th at 8 p.m. EST in Washington, DC. 

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE