Red Sox

Dombrowski: 'Names of prominence' may become available by trade

Dombrowski: 'Names of prominence' may become available by trade

FORT MYERS, Fla. — No new hitters, the same lineup. This simply wasn’t the plan, and Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski acknowledged as much on Wednesday.

“From a positional player perspective, no, that wasn’t, per se, our plan,” Dombrowski said. “As I’ve said every single year of my career when people say, 'What do you think the winter time will bring?' I’ll say, 'I don’t know, I have no idea,’ because I don’t. And this year’s free agent market is much different, and it’s led us to be at this point now.”

Dombrowski gave no hints as to whether the deadlock is about to break.

"I do not know if we're close to doing anything or not,” he said. “It’s been a long, lengthy process this wintertime. I don't think it's really changed a great deal. We continue to have conversations with a lot of clubs and agents. We'll see what happens. But I don't know that answer."

MORE RED SOX

Dombrowski noted there’s an unusually high amount of trade talk for this time of year as free agency stagnates. Some of that trade talk is directly related to what could happen when free agents do come off the board.

“You figure somebody gets somebody, then they may have excess or they're in a spot where they may get a deal for someone,” Dombrowski said. "So they're looking to move another particular player. So yeah, names of prominence.”

He’s aware of the chatter that’s out there about whether the Sox should make a major move. Not just via the media, but directly from fans — over coffee from a top Red Sox sponsor, no less.

“I go out every morning, I have a cup of coffee, I sit at a Dunkin Donuts and I bet you I have about 10 people a day that talk to me,” Dombrowski said. “It’s really split. So your pulse, you must hear that and probably that’s a louder voice but people are very supportive: don’t do anything if you think it’s unwise.”

The Sox didn’t add to their bullpen after the departure of Addison Reed and Fernando Abad.

“Bullpen-wise, we're pretty deep, particularly from the right-hand side,” Dombrowski said. “You don't have a lot of openings on the big-league club, so we're not a destination where everybody earmarks. But we'd be interested if the right guys come up to bring in non-roster invitees.”

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

Xander Bogaerts offers thoughts on Mookie Betts returning to Red Sox in 2021

Xander Bogaerts offers thoughts on Mookie Betts returning to Red Sox in 2021

The Boston Red Sox made a decision that made a lot of fans unhappy in early February. The team decided to trade Mookie Betts to the Los Angeles Dodgers along with David Price in exchange for a package of three prospects.

Betts, the MLB's MVP back in 2018, is one of the top five players in the league. He hit .295 with 29 homers last year as the Red Sox lead-off hitter, so parting with him obviously stings.

But could the Red Sox try to bring him back in free agency next offseason? It's possible, and it's something that Xander Bogaerts thinks the team could attempt to do.

LIVE stream the Celtics all season and get the latest news and analysis on all of your teams from NBC Sports Boston by downloading the My Teams App.

“Hey, you know... probably, maybe in a year,” Bogaerts said of potentially getting Betts back in 2021, per Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com. “We’ll see how that goes. He knows what he means to us and we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.”

Of course, there's no guarantee that Betts will end up returning to Boston. He could opt to sign an extension with the Dodgers or he could simply sign with the team that offers him the most money. And given how far apart he and the Red Sox were in negotiations, Betts may simply be out of their preferred price range.

It's tough to prognosticate what will happen in a year. And Betts wasn't willing to give any context clues during his introductory press conference with the Dodgers.

But Bogaerts and the Sox will remain hopeful. And until then, Boston's shortstop had one message for his former teammate.

“Obviously, I wish him nothing but the best," Bogaerts said, per Cotillo. "One of the best teammates I’ve had. One of the best young players we had to wear the Red Sox uniform.

"He’s someone we’re going to miss a lot. It’s not easy to replace somebody like that on and off the field.”

Rob Manfred provides updated timeline for Red Sox sign-stealing investigation

Rob Manfred provides updated timeline for Red Sox sign-stealing investigation

With spring training now here for MLB clubs, the Boston Red Sox have one massive question hanging over their heads. What will be the result of the MLB's investigation into the team's alleged sign-stealing?

Well, on Sunday afternoon, the Sox got an update on when that may be coming thanks to MLB commissioner Rob Manfred.

Manfred has stated that the investigation will likely be wrapped up within the next two weeks, according to Evan Drellich of The Athletic.

It will be interesting to see who the MLB is re-interviewing and what impact that will have on the investigation. But the fact that some developments have "slowed down" the MLB doesn't seem to be good news for the Red Sox.

The sooner the Sox know the results of the investigation, the sooner they can move on from it. And that will be important with the regular season drawing nearer and nearer.