Red Sox

David Price fed up with media, tells Globe 'there are no more personal interviews'

Red Sox

NEW YORK — David Price has had it with the media. At least, for the most part. 

He told a local media member Wednesday in a personal interview that he is no longer doing personal interviews.

Price said he intends to still talk to the media on days he pitches. He gets the ball Thursday against the Yankees.

MORE: David Price was "directly unhappy" with Evan Drellich after Wednesday night's game

“I’m not cautious,’’ Price insisted, per the Globe’s Dan Shaughnessy. “I’m the same me. I don’t talk to the media every day like I did last year and I guess I get blown up for that. But I was honest with everything they asked me last year and I get blown up for that. So they did this to themselves. Talk to me on the day I pitch and that’s it. There are no more personal interviews. There are no more asking me questions on a personal level. That’s done.’’

Do you feel like people are rooting for you to succeed?

“I know I’ve got 24 guys in this clubhouse and all our coaches rooting for me, and my family and my friends. That’s all I need. Whatever anybody else wants to do, that’s on them. I’m fine. I’m at peace.’’

 

Price is certainly within his rights. The collective bargaining agreement does encourage players to be available to the media, but speaking after starts presumably satisfies that requirement: “It is very important to our game that ALL players are available to the media for reasonable periods and it is the player’s responsibility to cooperate,” the CBA reads.