Red Sox

Injury updates: Holt available; Buchholz on 60-day DL

redsox-holt.jpg

Injury updates: Holt available; Buchholz on 60-day DL

BOSTON - Brock Holt is still out of Tuesday's game against the White Sox, but it should be the last game he misses due to a hyper-extended knee.

John Farrell said prior to Tuesday's game that Holt is available to play, but he thought it would be best to give him one more day off.

Improved today. Went thorough full baseball activity, groundballs, took some swings. He ran, change of direction."

Jemile Weeks takes over at second base, but don't rule out Holt coming on in a pinch-hit situation if the Sox are down late in the game.


**********

Clay Buchholz was placed on the 60-day disabled list on Tuesday, opening up a spot on the 40-man roster for RHP Jean Machi, who the team claimed off waivers from the Giants.

Putting Buchholz on the 60-day DL makes sense, seeing as the PRP injection he received in his elbow pushed back his recovery a few weeks.

"Once the PRP injection was had, that was adding some time to it," Farrell said. "So now when you start to map out the downtime following the injection, the initial flat ground throwing program, the mound progression, rehab starts, we're into September."

The move is retroactive to when Buchholz was placed on the 15-day DL on July 11. which would make him eligible to return on Sept. 9.

Farrell is confident Buchholz will still pitch this season.

"Still, and I think it'll be important for all involved to go into the offseason with some game activity under his belt," Farrell said. "I would think that that would give some peace of mind to Clay going into the offseason as well as everyone else."

**********

Speaking of PRP injections, Farrell announced that Pedroia had one as well for his hamstring. That, said Farrell, won't change whatever projected target date they had for his return.

Sam Kennedy explains why Red Sox are visiting White House so early

sam_kennedy.jpg
USA TODAY Sports

Sam Kennedy explains why Red Sox are visiting White House so early

The second full week in February will be a busy one for the Boston Red Sox.

The Red Sox will celebrate their 2018 World Series championship by visiting the White House on Feb. 15, the team announced Tuesday. That's just three days after pitchers and catchers report to Fort Myers, Fla., for spring training and just two days after Boston's first official workout.

So, why are the Red Sox heading to Washington, D.C. so early? Team president Sam Kennedy broke down the logistics Wednesday in an interview on WEEI's "Dale & Keefe" radio show.

"This was the date that was preferred by (manager) Alex Cora, (president of baseball operations) Dave Dombrowski and the coaching staff,” Kennedy said. “We wanted to set it up earlier rather than later. Some years in the past, we went during April or May when we’ve played down in Baltimore. Those always seemed a little bit stale. There was quite some time between the championship and the visit. So, we wanted to do it during the winter.

"We looked at the possibility of doing it after Winter Weekend, which is this weekend (Jan. 18-20), but this is the date everyone will be in Fort Myers. We’re going to do a charter from Fort Myers up to Washington D.C. and back in the same day. It’s actually most convenient to players and their spouses."

Major league teams can choose when they visit the Oval Office after the World Series; the Houston Astros went in March last year, while the Chicago Cubs visited in January 2017 and the Kansas City Royals waited until July 2016.

Boston previously has done the customary visit during the regular season but apparently would like to get it out of the way early this year.

The visit isn't mandatory, and several unidentified players have said they won't attend, according to The Boston Globe's Pete Abraham. But Kennedy insisted the Red Sox will leave politics out of the equation when they meet with President Donald Trump.

"Just like in the past, I’m sure there will be players who chose not to go, who do go," Kennedy said. "We’ve been pretty consistent and clear about this. This is an honor and a privilege to be invited to the White House. We’ve tried to not make it a political statement."

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Red Sox Rumors: Sox have competition for potential FA target Adam Ottavino

adam_ottavino.jpg
File Photo

Red Sox Rumors: Sox have competition for potential FA target Adam Ottavino

The free agent carousel has gone round and round, yet the Red Sox are still without a reliever. 

Several of baseball's top free agent relievers have gone off the board, and none have ended up in Boston. Now, one potential target in Adam Ottavino is reportedly garnering interest from the Rangers, per Fox Sports' Jon Morosi. 

Morosi reported that the Red Sox were showing interest in Ottavino just before the new year, but not much news has come out since. 

Ottavino would be an excellent addition, as the bullpen is left without a lot of depth after Joe Kelly ended up in Los Angeles and Kimbrel remains unsigned. Ottavino is the top reliever left on the market outside of Kimbrel, who is reportedly being courted by Philadelphia

The Red Sox have decided to sit back and let the market come to them thus far this offseason, but between Philly pursuing Kimbrel and Texas pursuing Ottavino, they may have to make a move sooner rather than later. 

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.